View Full Version : Theme - Red Grouse

William Dickson
01-30-2018, 06:12 PM
Canon 1DX
f/4 500mm with 1.4
f/5.6
1/800
ISO 1600

I saw this one perched on the rock as I was driving through the Glen. The roadway was higher than where the bird was perched, and wouldn't have given me a good POV. Instead of taking a shot from the open window of my vehicle, I took the decision to drive past and park up. I left the vehicle, got down low in amongst the heather, and crept towards the bird, and got myself in a position, which showed a decent BG. The bird never saw me and I managed to get a few shots off before he flew off.

Will

John Mack
01-30-2018, 06:22 PM
Very nice. Like the foreground flowers and how the match the background colors. Nice detail on the bird.

Isaac Grant
01-30-2018, 07:43 PM
That is one great looking bird. Details look very nice and it looks great against that background. Are the colors accurate? The grasses in the foreground and background look a bit too pastel to me. Also looks like the background could use a bit more NR.

Allen Sparks
01-30-2018, 08:42 PM
Hi William,
I think this is very well done. Nicely composed with an intriguing but not competing BG. Nice pose from the bird also.
Allen

annmpacheco
01-30-2018, 10:57 PM
I love this Will, everything about it. Big fan of grouse, and the foreground and BG is exquisite. The eye locks me when I view this again and again! Wall hangar for me, well for you!

David Salem
01-31-2018, 12:52 AM
This looks great William. The details, colors, BG and flowers look fantastic. I agree with Ann, this is a wall hanger. Well done

Ákos Lumnitzer
01-31-2018, 06:04 AM
For me the BG looks perfect Will. I would, however, carefully apply a little of NR to the dark feathers on the chest/belly and the tail. I can see a fair bit of noise in there "old" mate!

What a freaking awesome picture Will!
Agree about a wall print. Would look great in my room. :)

TFS

Jonathan Ashton
01-31-2018, 11:19 AM
Will that's a cracker love the pose the rock the flowers and the background, that is a heck of a good image. Hoping to get black grouse in February and maybe red grouse in March, if any as good as this I will be well pleased.

Mike Poole
01-31-2018, 12:11 PM
A real beauty this one Will, great colours, both on the bird and the BG, and a great shooting angle

Mike

William Dickson
01-31-2018, 02:32 PM
Thanks for all the comments and advice guys. Much appreciated.

Will