PDA

View Full Version : Peregrine Breakfast

Ian McLachlan
01-27-2018, 02:33 AM
We watched this lady and her mate about 10 minutes before, kill this Galah together about 1.5 miles away . She brought it back to a tree nearby. Rested up, and then she was taking this over hide it in the cliff and feed 3 youngsters later in the morning.
Quite a big load. Sadly no background as in a dingy and a perfect spring day. So I filled the frame up a bit more than perhaps some would prefer.

1dx
600mm f4II
1/3200th
40% crop
hh.
New format
All c&c very welcome

Randy Stout
01-27-2018, 08:26 AM
Ian:

A very determined look on her face as she totes her large capture. I am Ok with the larger in frame bird, for the reason you mentioned, no interesting background to balance out a smaller subject.

I am seeing a couple pixel wide light rim all around her profile. There is quite a bit of apparent noise or posterization in the background in some areas, esp . left lower corner.

Cheers

Randy

John Mack
01-27-2018, 01:52 PM
Nice to see the prey so well. I like the composition and the wing position. The crop seems to have affected the image quality.

Daniel Cadieux
01-27-2018, 04:04 PM
Very cool. I love the prey being clutched tightly. Great head tilt combined the spread tail and long wingspan. As posted the image seems to have lost fine detail. though. Perhaps a resizing issue with the new allowed dimensions.

gail bisson
01-27-2018, 04:28 PM
Very cool action captured but the IQ of the image seems to be quite degraded. Is it a large crop?
The incoming bird position is excellent.
If this is not a big crop I would redo the PP,
Gail

Raybel Robles
01-27-2018, 09:23 PM
Great pose and nice angle at the bird. But I do agree the image quality is just not there at all.

Ákos Lumnitzer
01-27-2018, 09:55 PM
A 40% crop should hold up fine enough I reckon - is it a 40% crop from a full file or you cropped about 40%? Personally though I prefer to crop little if anything off an image. I am just not a fan of excessive crop even though on the web they may pass as OK.

I am thinking maybe you did not quite have enough sharpness in the RAW file and you've oversharpened?

David Salem
01-29-2018, 10:20 PM
I agree this is a great-looking capture and shouldn't be too bad at 40% of the original so maybe going back to the raw and working it one more time might be good. At least for good practice. Great job Ian even catching this bird in flight with prey.

Gerhard Weldhagen
01-30-2018, 06:30 AM
Very difficult shot and nicely captured with its prey - that Galah took a huge beating by the looks of it. Agree with comments on visible noise and cropping, a bit more room around the bird wouldn't hurt.