PDA

View Full Version : Theme Ring-necked Duck.

Daniel Cadieux
01-24-2018, 03:55 PM
Just a standard duck portrait, but these guys are rare during the winter months, and even when in season they do not come close up here. Ever. Except this time, and only after waiting 2 hours lying prone on the ice at the edge of the water:S3:. The water was rather choppy, so I had to time the images when the duck was at the top of waves to get a good view from the low angle. The sun was filtering faintly through the thin clouds, which helped with the colours. I was surprised to see some blue on the wing feathers!

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/640s., f/5.6, ISO 1600, natural light, handheld, small crop for comp.

Tim Foltz
01-24-2018, 04:02 PM
Daniel, That's a rarity around here, nice and low, good HA, and details.

-Tim

John Mack
01-24-2018, 04:35 PM
Nice low angle good composition and great detail. Like how the duck is at the peak of the wave.

Randy Stout
01-24-2018, 05:16 PM
Daniel:

Great story. Like the picture as well. Looks cold, dreary, but a handsome fellow.

I like the drops and slicked down forehead.

Did you do any ice fishing while you were waiting?

Cheers

Randy

Ákos Lumnitzer
01-24-2018, 09:12 PM
I like the split of FG vs BG very much.
The bird is gorgeous, as is the HA and even the water droplets on it.
TFS

Bill Dix
01-24-2018, 09:25 PM
The low POV and the water really make this shot for me. Not that the duck isn't gorgeous. And his signature 'ring neck' shows nicely here. Despite their name it's not usually visible when I see them in our area. Nor is the blue on the wings. Very nicely captured, and I hope you've thawed out.

Isaac Grant
01-24-2018, 09:47 PM
I echo the rest of the comments. Details are very nice and I like him at the top of the wave. Just my kind of shooting as well with waiting long periods of time in the snow and ice. Man those people in southern California are so spoiled :Whoa!:. Not sure if it is a function of the light but the bird seems a bit thin to me. I would consider adding a few points of blacks to the black in selective color. We get many of these wintering in and around NYC and I am quite familiar with them.

Glenn Pure
01-25-2018, 08:28 PM
Excellent work from where I sit, Daniel. I wouldn't have had your persistence or stamina to get this so doubly impressed for putting up with what. The silkiness of the water and the great handling of the darker tones on the bird lift this. Thanks for sharing.

Mike Poole
01-26-2018, 12:08 PM
Great smooth water and the weak light has allowed some nice BG colours whilst allowing you to retain the detail on the bird.

Mike