PDA

View Full Version : Eider (incoming flight pose)

William Dickson
01-24-2018, 02:09 PM
Canon 1DX
f/4 500mm with 1.4
f/5.6
1/2000
ISO 800

I was perched amongst the rocks at my usual place, at the harbour, photographing Eider and Goldeneye swimming past me.. This Eider caught my eye, when I seen it flying in my direction. Anticipating the flight path I quickly changed my settings, and managed to get this one decent shot, before the bird saw me and changed direction. I had my camera set at low speed continuous, I wished I had changed it to fast speed, but everything happened so fast. The BG is the setting sun striking the harbour wall, then reflected onto the sea.

Will

Isaac Grant
01-24-2018, 02:20 PM
Pretty cool pose William. Love those spread out feet. Looks over sharpened to me and you have some funky stuff going on in your background. Lots of posterization. Also the shadowed areas are too blue on the bird.

Simon Davis
01-24-2018, 02:24 PM
You've caught the action well but the background looks a bit odd to me as well.

Daniel Cadieux
01-24-2018, 04:50 PM
Wicked pose. I love the feet and the spread tail feathers. I agree about the sharpenign (plus some noise) and posterization in the BG. Good reflexes to get this fella like this!

Randy Stout
01-24-2018, 05:41 PM
Will:

Outstanding pose, quite unusual. Looks like he is ready to bolt off in a different direction. Do agree with others about some technical issues. Certainly worth a revisit. How big of a crop?

Cheers

Randy

Ákos Lumnitzer
01-24-2018, 09:03 PM
Techs covered by the other members.
I must honestly say it is not an image up to your usual standard, despite the awesome action it portrays. Perhaps revisiting the processing, and cropping less (if it is a heavy crop) would greatly improve.
I kind of feel the focus is slightly off the head too.
Admittedly, I try not to say too much since this is a work monitor and not my 27" iMac I would normally view images on.
Thanks for sharing Will!

William Dickson
01-25-2018, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the critque guys. Not one of my best, I don't know where I went wrong. Putting it down to a senior moment :e3

Thanks again

Will

Glenn Pure
01-25-2018, 08:21 PM
A great deal of potential here Will. The awkward pose you've captured is really great and what makes this for me. Others have commented on issues with this but worth a revisit if those things can be fixed, i think.

Mike Poole
01-26-2018, 12:09 PM
Maybe not technically your best, but the pose certainly out a smile on my face, so definitely worth sharing!

Mike

Stu Bowie
01-26-2018, 01:35 PM
Hi Will, great 3D effect here - I can see him popping out of my screen. An honest critque, not your best IQ here mate, but still well done for capturing this unique pose.