PDA

View Full Version : Baby Raccoon

Shellie Dallas
06-23-2008, 04:44 PM
Hi everyone! I am new to BPN and about 1 year into my photography experience! I shot this recently with my Nikon D300, 70-200mm f/2.8, 1/80, f/2.8, 200mm, ISO1000. I know that I could have used more shutter speed but the lighting was poor, I didn't have my external flash with me, and I didn't like the same shot with an ISO of 1600. I was just happy to see this little guy!

Lance Peters
06-23-2008, 05:38 PM
Hi shellie - welcome to the BPN family - lots of freindly helpful people here.

I like your shot - love the two little eyes peering out of the tree.

I would Quick mask out the green leaves lower right hand corner.

And sharpen the eye's - the eyes are the primary point of contact - so you always want them looking as good as possible.

I d/l and sharpened the eyes - sorry didnt have time to remove the green leaves. Slight curve adjustment as well.

Lance

Shellie Dallas
06-23-2008, 05:41 PM
Thanks Lance! I tried sharpening the eyes..what route did u take??? I am getting to know CS3....how do I quick mask out the leaves and not affect the foot????

Lance Peters
06-23-2008, 05:51 PM
Hi Shellie - I recommend you get Robert O'tooles APTATS CD - it covers Quick Masks - its really great and quite simple.

Also I think there may be some help in the Educational Rescources forum on how to do it.

Basically
Open PS
Press q - for quick mask
press b - for brush (Change brush sizes with the bracket keys)
paint over the area you want to use
press - q
press - shift+ctrl+i

then move the new layer over to the part you want it to replace.

:)

Lnace

Shellie Dallas
06-23-2008, 05:57 PM
That does sound familiar! I will try!!! I will also check out the educational resource forum! Thanks again!

Nonda Surratt
06-23-2008, 06:03 PM
Welcome Shellie!

I love the scene,very baby raccoon, caught the essence. Lance nice fix! Also reco the CD above

Katie Rupp
06-23-2008, 11:31 PM
Adding my welcome to you, Shellie. Great first post as Nonda, said, you captured the essence.
Katie

Nicki Gwynn Jones
06-24-2008, 02:12 AM
Big hello from the UK Shellie! Lovely image - well done!!

Alfred Forns
06-24-2008, 06:20 AM
Big Warm Welcome Shellie !!!!!

As you said all you needed was some shutter speed !!! You really had no light, did about all you could short of using a tripod. By the way there is one rule which seems to hold true more than any other .... noise beats soft any time !!! Use as high an ISO as you need !!!!! Love the framing !!!

Shellie Dallas
06-24-2008, 08:25 AM
But I hate NOISE Alfred! LOL. Tripod was out....as it was I was on the ground, looking up with my lens wedged in between cables! Thanks everyone for the comments and warm welcome from all around the world!!! I appreciate it!!!

Harold Davis
06-24-2008, 03:30 PM
hi shellie!! welcome to BPN!!! glad to have you as part of the family. love your racoon portrait!! looks like you did the best you could at the time!! keep em coming!!