PDA

View Full Version : Jazz...

Nicki Gwynn Jones
06-23-2008, 04:25 PM
Hello Folks!
I took this picture whilst taking part in a workshop using captive owls. We took the birds to a wood so that the backgrounds would be natural - as far as I remember it was ferns and lichens.
400D 100-400 @ 380mm
F5.6 1/20 sec
ISO 200
Hope you enjoy him as much as I did!!
Regards,
Nicki

Lance Peters
06-23-2008, 04:35 PM
Hi Nicki - lovely bird - love that eye.

Somewhat a unconventional view, not sure the crop works for me, I love the background colours on the right, but maybe there is too much free space. and teh beautiful colours tend to draw my eye away from the bird.

heres my take...

Recropped TIGHT - I like tight, dont know mayb eit works maybe it doesnt.
Sharpened the eye.

Alfred Forns
06-23-2008, 04:42 PM
Hi Nicki I like your image as presented It is very different and won't be to everyone's liking but it is for me. Lance did real well with the re post and for going conventional would be they way to go

I like the original for the multicolor bg ... just looks good The look is complementing and enhancing the mood. About the only thing I would change is the slight color cast but all works well Big Congrats on this one !!!!

btw there are some neat reflections on the eye, in the repost they are stronger, I like them !!!

Nicki Gwynn Jones
06-23-2008, 04:48 PM
Hi Lance, I must admit that I do usually crop tight but on this occasion I wanted to emphasize the beautiful background colours as much as the bird. I also wanted to produce an image that was a little different from the conventional owl portrait.
I like how you sharpened the eye.
Regards,
Nicki

PS Loved your post on the 'goof' thread!!!

Lance Peters
06-23-2008, 05:06 PM
Hi Nicki - :) LOL

The BG colours sure are nice - I was really in two minds as to which way to go. The reflections in the eye are great.

Goof thread - That was one of my better ones - ROFL.

Nonda Surratt
06-23-2008, 06:07 PM
Nicki, ohoo Barn owl! Love the BG, like what Lance did with the eye. Nice, nice image

Katie Rupp
06-23-2008, 11:38 PM
Nicki,
I much prefer your original crop, it has a look of contemplation about it. Nice eye and the repost does expand on it. You keep coming up with good stuff, I look forward to seeing what's next.

Harold Davis
06-24-2008, 03:33 PM
awesome!!!!! love it nicki!! i am one of the ones that like your compo!! well done.

Oscar Zangroniz
06-24-2008, 06:48 PM
Excellent Nicki. I like it as presented. Lance's repost looks a bit tight in the frame for my taste.
Regards,