PDA

View Full Version : Sandhill Crane

Juan Tolentino
01-20-2018, 08:34 PM
The bird is already flying slightly away, but this is the first time ever that I had the chance to see and photograph a Sandhill Crane and I'd like to share my excitement.
I captured this image in Big Cypress, Florida with the Nikon D500 Handheld and Nikkor AF-S 500/4E FL ED VR
ISO 500
f6.3
1/4000
Manual Mode
Processed on LR and PS.
Cropped Approx. 25%.

All C & C's will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking

JT

Randy Stout
01-20-2018, 08:38 PM
Juan:

Congrats on your first sandhill. I find them lots of fun to work. The background adds greatly to the sense of depth in the image. Nicely exposed.

Even though he is angling ever so slightly away, the head seems to be pretty parallel to the sensor, and I am not bothered by it.

Nice comp.

Cheers

Randy

Bill Dix
01-21-2018, 01:29 PM
Juan, You're right to be excited. These are great looking birds. You've caught him with a nice wing position, and I don't mind the HA at all. Just the right hint of background habitat. Well done and congratulations.

Daniel Cadieux
01-21-2018, 03:49 PM
Yes, angling away a bit, but I can understand your excitement. Good details, colour, light. BG is nice. Did you need to extend the canvas at left by any chance?

Glenn Pure
01-21-2018, 05:08 PM
This is pretty nice and great to have a large image to do justice to that big bird and the great detail you've captured. The tonal rendering on the bird is very nice and I like the muted but interesting background. Wing position is very nice and not bothered by the slight angling away from you. A fine image all round.

Juan Tolentino
01-24-2018, 08:08 PM
Yes, angling away a bit, but I can understand your excitement. Good details, colour, light. BG is nice. Did you need to extend the canvas at left by any chance?

Excellent eye Daniel. Yes, I did, I'll work on it a bit more, sorry I forgot to mention on my OP.

Juan Tolentino
01-24-2018, 08:09 PM
Thank you all for the comments...always appreciated.