PDA

View Full Version : Long tailed tit

Jonathan Ashton
01-20-2018, 03:33 AM
Canon 1DX Canon 500mm f4 L IS II ISO 2000 1/1000 sec f8 (1600px x 900px)
I was set up in my back garden hide patiently waiting for a female sparrowhawk. She bathes regularly in my pond and then perches on a stump to dry an preen. I have lost count the number of times she arrives ten minutes after I pack up due to poor light or angle of light. This little guy was some consolation on this particular day.
All C&C welcome.

Randy Stout
01-20-2018, 07:44 AM
Jon:

Quite a tail, like the slightly stronger contrast of feathers here, he isn't quite as muted as many of the LBJs. Open bill.

The angle and shape of the perch, coupled with his long tail, makes this one a bit of a challenge on how to crop. I like the plant material down to the right, serves to balance him. Not quite so enamored of the clump up to right.

Cheers

Randy

Jonathan Ashton
01-20-2018, 07:57 AM
Jon:

Quite a tail, like the slightly stronger contrast of feathers here, he isn't quite as muted as many of the LBJs. Open bill.

The angle and shape of the perch, coupled with his long tail, makes this one a bit of a challenge on how to crop. I like the plant material down to the right, serves to balance him. Not quite so enamored of the clump up to right.

Cheers

Randy
Absolutely right Randy finding the ideal crop proved awkward indeed.

Stu Bowie
01-20-2018, 02:09 PM
Hi Jon, excellent detail here, and I like the pose with the open beak. Well exposed on the darks, infact overall, and I too like the hanging pods. Killer smooth BG.

Hope you have oiled all your gear - it cant be long now. You will be leaving minus degrees to mid 30 degrees C. Sunblock and hats are the order of the day. :w3

Joseph Przybyla
01-20-2018, 04:52 PM
A beauty Jon, what a lovely little bird. I like everything about the image, thank you for sharing.

Daniel Cadieux
01-20-2018, 05:56 PM
A beautiful consolation prize! You did well to balance the composition, looks good. I imagine you saw this coming, but I wish for the head angled towards us rather than away. Terrific details, and the blacks look excellent.

Glenn Pure
01-20-2018, 07:08 PM
I've been enjoying your small bird shots, Jon and especially like this one for the lovely detail and tonal range on the bird. I can see composition was tricky but this works for me. Background is nice and neutral. The colours on the bird are really delightful but can see a feint green tinge on the light/white feathers on the breast. Look forward to seeing the sparrowhawk when you get it.