PDA

View Full Version : Theme Great Gray Owl stare down

Isaac Grant
01-19-2018, 07:49 PM
One from last year when I got to spend a few minutes in front of this fantastic bird. It was dark and cold and windy with a strong blowing snow. Drove 17 hours round trip that day, but worth every second to see this bird. Hopefully will be seeing more of them next month in Minnesota.

Canon 1DX and Canon 500 f4 ii + 1.4x iii. ISO 2000, SS 1/2000, F8. Processed with DPP 4.7 and PS.

Raybel Robles
01-19-2018, 11:33 PM
Beautiful image. Those bright yellow eyes are captivating. Great details, perfect HA and great scene with the snow falling. Superb image and I would be happy to drive 17 hours for this opportunity for sure!

Dylan Maithonis
01-19-2018, 11:33 PM
Amazing shot. Love the owl, love the snow, love the branch, it all comes together perfectly.

sasan nejadi
01-20-2018, 01:02 AM
excellent shot ....BG is wonderful and iq is perfect...TFS

Glenn Pure
01-20-2018, 01:43 AM
I admire your dedication Isaac. I agree with Raybel about the eyes, standing out so well from the much more muted colouring of the rest of the bird and background. The falling snow is great and the almost missing feet make me look twice as the bird seems suspended. Excellent detail and looks like a good choice of DOF.

Bill Dix
01-20-2018, 11:23 AM
Another great image from that wonderful day you had. I don't envy the drive, but I certainly envy the time spent with this fabulous bird. The eyes glow like two little LEDs.

Stu Bowie
01-20-2018, 02:14 PM
Hi Isaac, cool eye contact, and those eyes really pop nicely from both his head and from the overall image. Excellent detail throughout, nice small perch, and the falling snow adds interest.

If I have to sell my house, I need to see and photograph these guys one day.

Randy Stout
01-21-2018, 05:11 PM
Issac:

The thumbnail doesn't do this image justice. Subtle, beautiful, cold, great eye contact. In the future, you will joke/laugh about the drive, but what you will remember is that stare.

Congrats

Randy

David Salem
01-22-2018, 01:17 AM
Those eyes are flipping wicked!! Love the contrast between the eyes and all the monotone colors. Cool perch and the Bg and the snow fall take this one over the top. Well done