PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Shy loon juvi - hiding behind dad

Randy Stout
01-17-2018, 08:25 PM
This pair was imaged last summer in northern Michigan. Chick about a month old, losing the fuzz and starting to grow feathers. Not the most beautiful time in their life. Despite the f/aperture, not quite enough DOF, but felt the image was still effective.

D500 600VR f/6.3 1/1000s ISO 800. Taken from my little boat, Loonie Too!

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

John Mack
01-17-2018, 08:50 PM
Very nice. I don't know about the pano crop. Good detail on the loon.

David Salem
01-17-2018, 09:21 PM
Another nice frame Randy and it looks even better in the larger size. Love the sea foam green BG color and the great details. Well done

Steve Kaluski
01-18-2018, 03:03 AM
Love it Randy, another very cool image especially with the young chicks eye peering out from the side. Perhaps a small gradient to darken the FG to add a bit more depth/layering of the image, or a Luminosity mask?

TFS
Steve

arash_hazeghi
01-18-2018, 03:05 AM
looks pretty nice with the low angle, soft light and hint of the chick's beak. you must have the largest collection of loon images in the world !

TFS

Glenn Pure
01-18-2018, 06:12 AM
Excellent peek-a-boo shot from the youngster which speaks shyness and vulnerability to me. The adult looks stunning. Even a nice hint of detail coming through that white on the neck in this one. As I think I've said before, you've really worked out how to expose and process these tough, high-contrast subjects. Always a treat to see one of your shots of them.

Bill Dix
01-18-2018, 11:18 AM
Glenn beat me too it. I love the peek-a-boo pose. I also like the pano crop. Once again you have managed to get the nice range of velvety colors on the adult's head. I agree that baby loons don't win the beauty contest in chickdom.

Stu Bowie
01-18-2018, 02:06 PM
Hi Randy, another super low angle perspective from you, and an opportunity well used capturing the chick peeking from behind dad. Exposure and sharpness spot on, and just love those droplets on the head.