PDA

View Full Version : Land of the Midnight Sun

Roman Kurywczak
06-23-2008, 02:10 PM
Another slide scan. I remember this vividly as we were driving along the road in Alaska my first time there and this was around 10pm and the sun was still out! I found the sky dramatic so I emphasized it a bit more. No tech specs other than Ektachrome 100 film........B4 VS. On the dirt road to Wrangell- St. Elias NP in late August. I was there over a month my first time with over half the trip spent camping.
As always comments welcomed and appreciated and I wan't your opinions if the sky is too much in this image.

Julie Kenward
06-23-2008, 03:57 PM
I've always wanted to go there and this is precisely why. What a beautifully haunting image, Roman. It's one layer of fabulousness on top of another and I couldn't begin to tell you which layer of beauty I like more.

It's stunning.

Robert Amoruso
06-23-2008, 08:01 PM
Roman,

I know you are dealing with a scan but was the snow that blue cast?

I tried using a threshold adjustment layer to find the whitest white and then a levels adjustment setting that point to 245. Much of the snow went back to white, some of the clouds picked up white and the blue cast still remained but more blue and less cyan. I think it looked pretty good so posted it. Of course the further you go down in pixel value from the purest white in the original, the more you force whites above 255. I over emphasized the effect here.

Compositionally I like it a lot. Great layering.

Roman Kurywczak
06-23-2008, 08:13 PM
Hey Robert,
Now your're going to make me find the slide. I'll check and let everyone know. Even if it isn't.......I like what you did!

Roman Kurywczak
06-23-2008, 08:27 PM
PS I found it Robert..........more blue and subtle like mine on the slide. Must be the Ektachrome..........they were always a litle blue........that's why i liked them for landscapes. Your correction still gives me another nice possibility.

Robert Amoruso
06-23-2008, 10:03 PM
I figured it was the Ektachrome. That is what I always used as I liked its cool tone. In any event, I think this is a cool (color temp?) looking image.

Paul Marcellini
06-26-2008, 08:48 PM
What I like about Robert's is you can appreciate the diff blues more. Comp is excellent. Love that sky. Always been a dream to go to Alaska, after Africa of course.