PDA

View Full Version : A Mystery

Stu Bowie
01-12-2018, 01:42 PM
As a lot of my images captured during my recent holidays were against a sky BG, I was happy to have captured this fellow against a distant foliage BG being a golf course. A mystery, as this flying unknown looks like a cross between an African Black Duck, A Yellow Bill Duck, and a Mallard. The sun had just risen so I had good light from behind, but at this location, one needs a spotter to spot any flying subjects flying across the lagoon from left and right, so a lot of these shots are grab shots as they fly so fast, and one only picks them up at the last moment. You could be looking one way, and as you turn the other way, a duck is right on top of you. Milnerton Lagoon - Cape Town.

Canon 1D Mark IV
Canon 300mm F/2.8 +2X TC = 600mm
1/800
F/6.3
ISO 640

Exp Comp +0.67

Hand Held

David N Smith
01-12-2018, 02:52 PM
Nice sharp image and I like the separation of the background.

William Dickson
01-12-2018, 03:12 PM
Well captured Stu. Lovely detail on the bird which blend well with the BG. Love the DOF and POV. Nice chosen crop as well.

Will

Bill Dix
01-12-2018, 04:15 PM
A lovely flight shot, with very nice palette of muted olives and golds. Wish I could help you with the ID.

Randy Stout
01-12-2018, 05:01 PM
Stu:

Subtle coloration, soft background, good comp.

I do wish the bird was a bit brighter in relationship to the bg, I think it would pop more.

I tried a version with a screen blend mode on a selection of the bird, and did like the effect.

No help on the ID, as I don't know two of the birds you mentioned.

Cheers

Randy

annmpacheco
01-12-2018, 05:05 PM
Great looking mystery duck! Details throughout, love the browns and the slight sheen on the wing, BG is so complimentary, let us know when you solve the mystery!

Glenn Pure
01-12-2018, 07:06 PM
A classic duck flight pose, Stu. The background is great in this one. I agree with Randy about brightening the bird a touch although not by much. Great detail - and well done in the circumstances. I know the type of situation as I've been in it myself before and know how hard it is to get a clean shot from it. TFS

Rachel Hollander
01-12-2018, 07:35 PM
Hi Stu - Beautiful flight shot with lots of detail and nice colors. I like the wing position and the overall position in frame. Can't help on the id. I thought you were going to see you needed a lookout to avoid being hit by golf balls :Whoa!:.

TFS,
Rachel

Stu Bowie
01-13-2018, 12:12 AM
Thank you for the feedback everyone. Here is a version suggested by Randy. Its subtle, but when compared side by side, there is a difference.

Jonathan Ashton
01-13-2018, 02:56 AM
Super image Stu - pin sharp, love the colours and tones (hope I can get something similar!!)

Steve Kaluski
01-13-2018, 12:28 PM
Hey Stu, lovely, but as per my comment to young Jon, I feel you could have upped the SS with little affect on IQ.

Trust all is good and nice to see you posting.

All the very best.
Steve

gail bisson
01-13-2018, 02:38 PM
Hi Stu,
Hope you had a great holiday!
I like the repost.
Tack sharp (even at a SS 1/640) and great BG.
Nice light and nice color palette. Agree with you about the nice BG.
Gail