PDA

View Full Version : Bogen or Gitzo tripod?

Doris Dumrauf
06-23-2008, 09:50 AM
Hi everyone,
I am planning on buying a new tripod soon to replace my cheap one, which weighs 7.7 lbs. I'm 5'3", so height is not an issue. I have a Canon EOS 30D, a 400mm Canon EF f5.6L lens and a 1.4x teleconverter. I doubt if I'll every buy a longer lens because I have a bad back. Right now, I don't consider flying with a tripod, but one never knows. I've looked at some forums and some people seem to think that Bogen tripods can't support the weight of a 400mm lens, which is about three pounds. That seems weird since my cheap tripod can support it. The weight of the tripod is very important to me, the lighter the better--as long as it's sturdy.
I'm also debating whether to get a ballhead or a gimbal. I photograph birds (but rarely in flight) and also do editorial photography in museums, indoor zoos, etc.. I therefore need a head that works with short lenses too.
Thanks,
Doris Dumrauf
www.dorisdumrauf.com (http://www.dorisdumrauf.com)

Alfred Forns
06-23-2008, 10:04 AM
Hi Doris Do go with the Gitzo Price is higher but worth it. I think you can get away with a two series Would suggest going to the website.

I have one that I use for macro, will check out the number when I get home For mounting if you can use a Really Right Stuff ballhead, again the mid size will work just fine for your equipment !!! Will save a bit money and weight over the 55 !!

Doug Brown
06-24-2008, 03:00 PM
Agree with Al here. Gitzo makes a great tripod, especially the new ones with G-lock and ALR. I find a gimbal head to be very important for bird photography in general, not just for flight. The problem with using it with a 400 f/5.6 is that the lens is so light and short that it's tough to balance it properly with a gimbal head.

Doris Dumrauf
06-24-2008, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the answers. It seems like every serious photographer is pushing Gitzo. Gitzo says that the 2 series is only good for max. 300 mm lenses. Is that because of added stability? Weight-wise, the 2 series should be sufficient for my equipment.
Doris Dumrauf
www.dorisdumrauf.com

James Shadle
06-24-2008, 04:03 PM
Doris,
Manfrotto, owns Bogen and Gitzo.

Talking to the Bogen Rep at my last Tamron workshop he told me about 2 new Bogen Carbon Fiber tripods that were going to be released any day then.

If you are using the smaller lenses you might want to check them out.

For heavy lenses Gitzo is the only way to go.

James

Judd Patterson
06-24-2008, 10:20 PM
I've used a Bogen 3021 for a couple years now and it has performed quite well for its price. People think I'm nuts, but I use it for my 500mm f/4 on a sidekick all the time. It's not the most elegant system around, and I'm always tightening bolts to ensure that legs don't slip...but it does do the job. That said, I will admit that I am saving up for a Gitzo.