PDA

View Full Version : Reed Bunting - Emberiza schoeniclus

Jonathan Michael Ashton
06-23-2008, 09:18 AM
I waited for some time to get this shot, the reeds were swaying in the breeze, I framed him then he didn't sing, :(then he sang then I didn't frame him........... then, I GOT HIM!:)

Canon 20D Canon 500mm F4 L IS plus 1.4TC, on tripod
ISO 200
Av mode 1/320 @ f5.6

Thanks for looking

Jon

Alfred Forns
06-23-2008, 10:29 AM
It does sound funny Jonathan !!! Glad you nailed it !!!

Must have been difficult timing for both, as presented would like more space to the bird and sharper. oof seems to takes attention. Also could have gone for the hat trick and gotten the head angle !!! :) Framing wise I normally don't like the reeds coming out of the frame corner. Exposure, bg and sharpness are excellent !!!!

Axel Hildebrandt
06-23-2008, 10:33 AM
Great singing pose and exposure control. A little head turn would have been nice and you could try a slightly wider crop.

Daniel Cadieux
06-23-2008, 11:08 AM
Better head turn would be ideal, and I would prefer the arched reed not be there. With that type of focal lenght it would be wise for you to up the ISO to give yourself better shutter speed for these types of birds (even with a tripod). That is one great looking bird!

Jonathan Michael Ashton
06-23-2008, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the comments, I did struggle with composition and framing, I just didn't know what to choose, I will have another look with the reed out of the corner and give the bird a little more space.
I did wonder about the shutter speed, do I get the correct impression, i.e.that little birds like this really need 1/500 sec. The other thing is I don't own the best tripod or head in the world either, maybe it is Gitzo time at last!
Jon

Arthur Morris
06-23-2008, 12:03 PM
I do not mind the arched reed but as always, the bird looking away is an image killer... (Sorry to rain on our parade.) Great bird though; get back out there! Where are you from?

Jonathan Michael Ashton
06-23-2008, 01:30 PM
I'm from Wirral, the Peninsula just opposite Liverpool, England. Guess I'll have to get a shot facing us a little more - I will see what I can do.
Jon