PDA

View Full Version : Hummer

Nonda Surratt
06-23-2008, 09:16 AM
Really hanging self out to dry after Gail's lovely image. Rather cooked the whites, bits (lines) along the bottom are pine needles

M111, 300f2.8@f3.2, ISO 400, 1/1250

Desmond Chan
06-23-2008, 10:15 AM
I could be very wrong but somehow I think shooting hummingbird is easier than shooting other small birds in mid-air (tree swallow for instance). Why? Because they hover, and that gives us time to focus (even manually) and press the shutter button. Shooting them feeding on flowers or feeder are even easier because...they're not going anywhere :D

Anyhow, as you have pointed out, the whites are not very good. It would be better if the perspective was different, too. Would be great to see two wings :)

Nonda Surratt
06-23-2008, 10:19 AM
Hum..So far the ones here only hover when they are a foot from your face, at the feeders they are in constant motion. Why? Don't have a clue.

Bit of a re-phrase they do hover when they are actually feeding but snout stuck in feeder isn't the image I'm after.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
06-23-2008, 10:23 AM
I wish we had humming birds here - I have to make do with birdies that don't stay in one place:(:D:D:D.
Sweet image Nonda - agree that the whites are a little burned.

Alfred Forns
06-23-2008, 10:53 AM
Nonda you should tame the whites with the duplicating layer trick !! If not clone form other areas and reduce opacity !!

Do like the flight pose and might take some from the bottom. Hummers at feeders with a multiple flash set up are a breeze .... free flying are a different matter. The ones I've done it takes time for them to show up and hover, also not at the same place for mine. Have best luck by spiking the flowers ... just a few drops of water mixed with sweet !!! On occasions have had serious words with them regarding cooperation !!!! :D:)

Nonda Surratt
06-23-2008, 02:21 PM
Did the duplicate layer trick twice..Yea that bad! Hopefully things will improve when the Agastache blooms, they park and will fight you over flower rights. Our feeders have never really impressed them much:D

Sharna Lee
06-23-2008, 02:35 PM
Hey Nonda,
I thought the image was lovely. And it really isn't that easy to photograph these things. I've been trying for days.
Even with the whites a little blown out the image is better than my efforts. ;)
Thanks for sharing this with us.

Sharna

Harold Davis
06-23-2008, 02:56 PM
agree with al about cropping a little off the bottom. in regards to them stopping about a foot away, just use the wide angle lens instead!!:D good luck with the new flowers. cant wait to see them feeding in the natural way!!

Lance Peters
06-23-2008, 04:39 PM
gorgeous BG - loooks like you are well on the way to nailing these little guys - cant wait to see more.

Well done

Nonda Surratt
06-23-2008, 06:15 PM
Crop off the bottom sounds good..Very funny Mr H:p

Thanks all. These guys are a work in progress, plus getting the landscape set, light etc. moving plants around and getting somewhat serious about it. Plus hoping for more than just one or two hanging around.

Oscar Zangroniz
06-24-2008, 06:43 PM
I like your image very much as presented, only thing as you mentioned is the whites. Love these hummers.
Regards,