PDA

View Full Version : Theme Snowy owl head on

Stuart Edwards
01-07-2018, 11:01 PM
The weather has been extremely cold with high winds for the last couple of weeks but this morning we got a break in the wind. The snowy owls I had found close to home are playing hard to get so when a friend invited me to his spot 2 hours away and promised great shot opportunities , I jumped at the chance.
the temperature was -31f when I walked out the door at 5am but it warmed up to -27f after the sun came out lol . I laid down in the snow and got the lens as close to the ground as I could . I had this months theme in mind when I shot this. At these arctic temps it seems to slow the burst rate quite a bit and focus isn't quite as fast but I still managed quite a few shots I consider decent.
A live mouse was used to bring her in close.
1dIV 400mmf5.6L
f7.1 1/2500 iso400
Hand held converted in dpp
Cleaned up a few dark spots on the snow in photoshop then used smart sharpen on the bird on its own layer.

Jonathan Ashton
01-08-2018, 10:59 AM
It's a fine shot and well processed.........but I feel compelled to say I feel for the unfortunate mouse, I hope he got away.

Isaac Grant
01-08-2018, 12:44 PM
I very much like the down stroke and the slightly blurred wing tips. Bird looks good. For me this is a bit too tight in the frame. I wish the bird was further right in the frame and there was more room to the left. This would also help not have the shadow cut off. I also hope the mouse got away. Another vote for the underdog.

Roger Smith
01-08-2018, 01:19 PM
Great image and love the head on view. I also would cast a vote, if possible, to leave a bit more room around the bird in the frame.

Geoffrey Montagu
01-08-2018, 05:13 PM
Way to go, Stuart braving the cold to get this great flight capture. Nice handling of the blacks and whites and love those beautiful eyes. I would also like a bit more space left and right. I too hope the mouse got away.

Geoffrey

https://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (https://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

Bill Dix
01-08-2018, 05:30 PM
Another beauty of a shot. Your bone-chilling dedication has paid off. I agree with Isaac's crop suggestions. Nothing against mice - they can be very cute - but owls have to eat too. This one was just lucky to find a fast-food restaurant.

Daniel Cadieux
01-08-2018, 07:50 PM
I agree with a bit more room at left, and perhaps a touch less at bottom. Apart from that, top notch! I like that the talons are visible. No chance at all for the mouse against this opportunist predator...

Jim Crosswell
01-08-2018, 08:26 PM
I like the eye contact, visible talons, setting and composition. Excellent image Stuart!

arash_hazeghi
01-15-2018, 03:47 AM
excellent eye contact and exposure if mine I'd put a bit more room around him