PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Low level loon with chick on board - foot waggle

Randy Stout
01-07-2018, 09:58 AM
This pair was imaged last summer. Chick was 3 days old, enjoying a ride on mom, while she waggled her big foot. No one is exactly sure why the loons do the foot waggle. Thoughts about temperature regulation, etc., but I think they just enjoy doing it!

D500 600VR f/7.1 1/1000s, ISO 500 . Taken from my little boat, Loonie Too!

Post: Leveled slightly, so had to add canvas front and rear. Cleaned up a few spots in the water, cleaned second catch light in adults eye.

This will be my last loon image for a while.

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

Daniel Cadieux
01-07-2018, 01:47 PM
The chick peeking over the back puts this over-the-top! Great IQ, good low angle.

Jonathan Ashton
01-07-2018, 02:04 PM
Idyllic I reckon just about as good as it gets. Colours tone composition and details just about spot on. :cheers:

Bill Dix
01-07-2018, 04:27 PM
Another great Loonie shot, with what's becoming your signature green water and blue ripple. Chick peeking over brings it up a notch. I've also wondered about the foot waggle; figured it was akin to a wing stretch.

John Mack
01-07-2018, 05:54 PM
Still killing it with the loons i see. Never knew about the foot waggle pretty neat.

Krishna Prasad kotti
01-07-2018, 10:07 PM
I love the image.

Great Head Angle and the chick watching from the back. Nice Green Background.

Thanks for sharing

Stu Bowie
01-08-2018, 02:24 AM
Hi Randy, excellent low perspective, and the chick has a better HA than Mom. :S3: Your usual exposure nailed, and sharpness spot on too. I like the calmness of the water, and the extended foot takes this up a few notches.

annmpacheco
01-08-2018, 02:02 PM
Hi Randy, so well done, IQ, pov, and the foot kick, with the little one on top! the colors are wonderful, sheen on the back feathers, and that velvety black/green head. I like the hint of turquoise in the reflection. I would like to see a bit more canvas on the foot side... terrific

David Salem
01-08-2018, 05:16 PM
Just looked at all the images you have posted recently and I must say they are your best ever IMO. You have got these guys down pat!! Colors, details, action and exposure are all spot on. Very well done, again!

Randy Stout
01-08-2018, 07:06 PM
Thanks everyone for your generous comments. Much appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

Tim Foltz
01-08-2018, 11:38 PM
Randy, another very nice loon image, I envy the breeding plumage, we never see that here in So. CA.

-Tim