PDA

View Full Version : Stacked family in flight

Stu Bowie
01-07-2018, 08:21 AM
Wishing everyone a great 2018. I have just returned from Cape Town and decided to post this image of Cape Shovellers. This was taken at the Strandfontein Sewerage works ( no smell even when the wind blew ) These Shovellers would fly all over the place, and unfortunately, there are no hides at this location, and its pretty hard to track and capture these fast fliers from your car, so I stood in the open. From the top is a female Shoveller, then a male ( he has the yellow eye ) and then the lower Shoveller is either another female or a juvie. Taken early morning. I realise the wing position of the female is not ideal, but I was pleased to capture some decent Shoveller images. The incoming flight angle was due to them approaching water to my left.

Canon 1D Mark IV
Canon 300mm F/2.8mm +2X TC = 600mm
1/4000
F/7.1
ISO 640

Hand Held

Randy Stout
01-07-2018, 09:23 AM
Stu:

A happy new year to you as well!

Nice to get them stacked, with separation of the bodies. I like the diagonal line of the bill tips in the frame and the tilt of the birds. All good.

Agree about the wing position.

Cheers

Randy

Jonathan Ashton
01-07-2018, 02:07 PM
Stu this is remarkable what a way to start the New Year. The wing position doesn't bother me one iota because I get to see the other, had the left wing been down it would have obscured the other duck in any event so for me brilliant!

John Mack
01-07-2018, 05:55 PM
Very cool. The composition and the distance between the birds is perfect.

David Salem
01-08-2018, 05:20 PM
Happy New Year my friend! Haven't been around much lately but I wanted to stop by and say Hi. Not easy to get three ducks in focus and with nice wing positions, and stacked on each other, so well done in that department. Nice capture Stu

Jim Crosswell
01-09-2018, 07:49 AM
Happy new year to you as well! I have enough trouble getting one duck in flight. I would be really happy to get an image like this. Very well done Stu!