PDA

View Full Version : Snow Goose - Last Departure

Jay Ing
01-05-2018, 11:30 PM
Recently, Gail posted a shot of a pair of Yellow-eyed Penguins. While the comp and IQ were a tad less than her usual (amazing) standards, she noted the frame was particularly meaningful because the birds are endangered and not that easy to photograph (my summary of her words at least). This brings up that aspect of photography that, at least for me, might make a given image very special for some reason or reasons non-technical (or at least non-optical). This shot of a snow goose is this for me.

I'm only a few years into photography and a couple into the narrower focus of avian photography. It's been a fun ride to say the least. But, I am learning how much there is to learn (too much).

To take good shots of birds (with any consistency) one can't just learn the settings of their camera (still learning) or theory about photography itself (still learning) - but - sad to say/good to say? - one must learn about - oh my goodness - BIRDS!... What's more, I find I need to think about things like weather patterns, not only sunrise times but first light times (never even knew there was a difference until lately). I once went to Palo Alto to shoot shorebirds just like I'd done YESTERDAY - only to find that TODAY though the sun was right and the atmosphere was great - it was HIGH TIDE and the birds I wanted to shoot only show up when they can walk around in the mud...so no birds! Now I need to think about low and high tides. Yada Yada Yada. Bird photography is no cakewalk!

So, back to why I like this shot.

Until I went to Bosque last month I had no knowledge of the fact that in the morning you'll have a mixed gathering a a few thousand snow geese and sandhill crane - but - that they each take off in their own way. As most (all?) of you know, the geese will chat up a storm for some indeterminate time and then an unmarked leader/leaders will decide it's time. Off that one/couple will go - and in a matter of seconds all others will follow. Once the "rain" is over, what will be left are Sandhills. And, in their own sweet time they will, in smaller groups, take to the skies. I never knew that - but - now I do. Hey, I'm learning. So, this shot I can now appreciate with some "knowledge behind the eyes". Here I see a single snow geese taking flight. They take off in groups so - s/he symbolizes the last departure (hence the photo title). And, true enough, in the background all one can see (if blurrily) are the remaining Sandhills waiting for their signal.

So, not my best shot - but a pleasing and symbolic one nontheless. Cheers -

Details: D500 and Sigma 500/4 + 1.4 TC, 1/3200, F5, ISO 2000, EC 1.00, HH, Frozen, C1P (raw), PS CCC 2018 slight crop, neat image NR and SS on output.

gail bisson
01-06-2018, 07:39 AM
I quite like this Joel. And I really enjoyed your comments. I echo your sentiments exactly re: learning curve of light/tides/subjects. If I may add to your list, we also have to learn behavior and the subtle signals that let us know if action is about to happen and fieldcraft. Then there is the digital darkroom to navigate!
Whites look good. Nice incoming flight position. I wish we could see a bit more of the cranes along the bottom of the frame but that would be tricky compositionally as the snow goose is rising.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts,
Gail

Jay Ing
01-06-2018, 08:36 AM
I quite like this Joel. And I really enjoyed your comments. I echo your sentiments exactly re: learning curve of light/tides/subjects. If I may add to your list, we also have to learn behavior and the subtle signals that let us know if action is about to happen and fieldcraft. Then there is the digital darkroom to navigate!
Whites look good. Nice incoming flight position. I wish we could see a bit more of the cranes along the bottom of the frame but that would be tricky compositionally as the snow goose is rising.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts,
Gail

These lack a few edits (NR and such) but this is a smaller crop that brings in more birds below but moves the goose to the center or left. Like either of these better? While left of frame facing left is not the norm it does give the idea of departure... and the centered one does communicate being in the midst of a flock. For my part I like the centered one more.

gail bisson
01-06-2018, 01:43 PM
Hi Joel,
I think I like the more centered one as well!
gail

Daniel Cadieux
01-07-2018, 08:37 PM
Cool! I like the middle version best for the room for both the cranes' faces, plus space, in lower left corner. In the OP you have cut the nearest cranes face two making for a jarring edge down there. You could crop the middle version a bot more top and right but as of now it is the strongest of the three versions. I do prefer the brightness and "pop" of the first though.

I enjoyed your story as well, I can relate...