PDA

View Full Version : Sandhill Crane

Raybel Robles
01-05-2018, 08:15 PM
Taken in Bosque del Apache in a very foggy and cold morning. I particularly like the geese below the crane, how they disappear into the fog.

D750
300.0 mm f/2.8 + 2.0x TC

ƒ/5.6
1/1000s
ISO 1000

Dylan Maithonis
01-05-2018, 08:24 PM
Snazzy shot. I didn't even notice the snow geese until you mentioned them. I don't think any clarity should be added. I could be way off on this but I think the exposure could go down a tad to make it feel more like fog rather then snow at a glance. Slightly desaturating the water also might look good depending on what you're going for.

Jay Ing
01-05-2018, 11:35 PM
Nice one Ray. I see you are still processing your Bosque photos just like I am. Twain't that fun! So nice to meet you there... lucky you ... more time there than I could spend! Thanks for sharing another.

gail bisson
01-06-2018, 07:45 AM
This has a nice "feel" to it but I might punch up very very slightly the crane.
I like the geese at the bottom of the frame. A nice surprise as my eye moves around the picture.
Gail

Raybel Robles
01-06-2018, 11:55 AM
Nice one Ray. I see you are still processing your Bosque photos just like I am. Twain't that fun! So nice to meet you there... lucky you ... more time there than I could spend! Thanks for sharing another.

I am, still plenty more photos to work on! too many Geese and Cranes photos lol

It was nice meeting you up there my friend. Hopefully one day we can meet up again. Costa Rica in March?? :)

Graham Wilkes
01-06-2018, 12:18 PM
Different image for sure and I like it.
I do agree with Gail regarding giving the crane a boost and yes love the geese below.

Graham.

Randy Stout
01-06-2018, 02:04 PM
Ray:

I looked at this yesterday, but wanted to come back again. The crane is just too flat because of the fog, as mentioned by others. The background really conveys the foggy feel, but I find in most foggy images, you need at least one area that is a bit more distinct, to act as a visual anchor for the image.

Very easy to mask the crane, add a bit of contrast and sliver of saturation and not lose the foggy impression, but add more interest to the crane. IMHO.

Always fun to experiment under different lighting conditions.

Randy

Jay Ing
01-06-2018, 02:49 PM
Love to, but will have to raincheck... I'll be shooting Osprey in Florida in March.

I am, still plenty more photos to work on! too many Geese and Cranes photos lol

It was nice meeting you up there my friend. Hopefully one day we can meet up again. Costa Rica in March?? :)

Bill Dix
01-06-2018, 03:56 PM
I, too, love the background and the foggy feel, but would try punching the contrast on the bird just a bit.

Raybel Robles
01-06-2018, 07:26 PM
Thanks everyone. I added a bit more contrast to bring the crane "out of the fog" a bit more.

gail bisson
01-07-2018, 07:37 AM
I like the repost much better. You managed to keep the "feel" of the fog but make the crane more visible. I like it!