PDA

View Full Version : Big Sur

David Kennedy
12-27-2007, 01:45 AM
Welcome to Panoramic Images!

This panorama of the Big Sur, California coastline was created from eight vertical captures from this July on a road trip from Redwoods National Park to San Diego.

I'm posting this as an example of an image that conforms to the "rule of thirds" and is an exact fit to my "ideal proportion" of 8:3 (width:height) for large-scale stitched panoramas. This image is 33 inches wide without interpolation.

8:3 is by no means a hard and fast rule, but it is a useful guideline as stitched panoramas, in particular, tend to get out of hand. I have printed images that were eight feet wide but only one foot tall, and they suffer for their stunted presentation.

Capture data:
Canon 5D, 70-200mm f/4L @ 140mm, 1/80 second at f/8, ISO 125

Maxis Gamez
12-27-2007, 06:10 AM
Hi David,

This is great. Like you say the composition really works here. I like the shore line. The colors are super and the lighthouse makes it really nice to finish the frame.
I don't see much detail in the top right corner of the sky, perhaps a Neutral Density filter would of make the sky pop even more, but an excellent image as it is.

Very well done for sure!

Jason Hahn
12-27-2007, 07:40 AM
The soft mood of this shot is very appealing, very peaceful. I particularly like the long sweep of the shoreline on from the lower right, taking your eye on a journey through the frame to the focal point of the cliffs.

Jason

Robert Amoruso
12-31-2007, 07:24 PM
Leading lines work well in this image. The right side of the shore coming in at the edge leads you to the cliffs as Jason mentions.

David Kennedy
04-13-2008, 04:49 PM
Months after posting this image, I've gone back and worked it up with a few things I learned about LAB color. I'm surprised at how washed out the original appears--yikes!

Jeffrey Sipress
04-13-2008, 06:16 PM
David, great proportion and stitch. This version adds something needed. I didn't find enough interest in the image at first, and while it is the same image, it is now nicer to look at.