PDA

View Full Version : American Robin

Krishna Prasad kotti
01-05-2018, 12:48 AM
This image was taken during my Colorado Trip couple of month back.

Nikon D500, 300mm f/4 +1.4x TCIII
ISO 1000, f/5.6, 1/200 sec
Manual Mode

The light was really low and hence I dropped the shutter speed so low to get a decent Image.

Post Processing:-
Neat Image for Noise Reduction
Niko 30-30 Receipt
Slightly Cropped for Presentation

Let me know your thoughts and comments.

Thanks for watching.

Thanks
Krishna

gail bisson
01-05-2018, 06:35 AM
I love the fluffed up pose and the perch.Perfect HA.
I think the bird needs some "punching up". This could be done by adjusting your levels and adding a bit of black to the neutrals in selective coloring.
Pity the tail is obscured by the perch,
Gail

Krishna Prasad kotti
01-05-2018, 09:52 AM
Reposting with the Changes.

Added Levels Adjustment and Selective Colors on the Bird. Reduced the Opacity to keep the effect subtle.

Thank you Gail Bisson for the suggestions.

John Mack
01-05-2018, 11:25 AM
The repost looks nice. The fluffed up look of the bird is pretty neat.

Randy Stout
01-05-2018, 05:15 PM
Krishna:

Good call by Gail. I had the same impression on 1st viewing the image, too washed out, even allowing for the soft light. Repost is better.

I have seen a lot of robins, and our eastern ones are darker toned than even the repost. It would be interesting to see what the original file looked like before your post processing.

Cheers

Randy

Isaac Grant
01-05-2018, 08:13 PM
Nice and strong pose you have here. Robin looks proud. I like the background. I agree with the others that the colors are off on the bird. It is too washed out and light. Actually I think that you need to reduce the exposure on the whole shot a bit. That will also address the hot area on the bottom left of the perch.

Glenn Pure
01-05-2018, 08:21 PM
I second the comments about this one looking a little washed out (including the repost) - although qualified by the fact that I don't know the species. Otherwise, the fluffed-up pose is good and background nice. Seeing shots from others here done with the D500, I suspect you could have increased ISO considerably to remove the concern you had with shutter speed, especially as Neat Image is so good at dealing with noise. Having said that, the detail looks good anyway and provided the bird wasn't moving about much, your shutter speed was workable, I think.

Krishna Prasad kotti
01-05-2018, 11:26 PM
Thank for the comments.

Below is the screenshot from RAW image.

Randy Stout
01-06-2018, 06:46 AM
Krishna:

The raw is much closer to what I am used to for these guys, although still probably marginally overexposed, maybe 1/3 of a stop or so. It is so easy as we go through our post processing to gradually drift away from our starting point, and end up with something less than ideal. I have done it many times. I try to always put the image aside for a day or so, and then revisit it, with fresh eyes so to speak, to make sure I haven't inadvertently drifted too far from reality!

Cheers

Randy