PDA

View Full Version : Black Turnstone

Dylan Maithonis
01-04-2018, 10:47 PM
Lately I've been shooting with a higher ISO then normally and I'm really pleased with the results. Especially since I live in the 24/7 overcast north west coast. I'm really new to photographing shorebirds and I found sitting is vastly better for perspective comfort and the subjects comfort. This little guy marched right towards me flipping over crab carcasses and rocks. This shot had the best composition of crab carcasses and the subject's stance.

Nikon D300
Nikon 300mm f4 af-d
f5.6
1/2000
ISO 1600
Handheld
Moderately Cropped

Isaac Grant
01-04-2018, 11:35 PM
Welcome. I love shorebirds and will click on an image of them every time. I don't typically like cluttered beaches but I think this one works pretty well here. I love those crab legs in the upper part of the frame. Really tells the story of how these birds make a living. I like the walking pose as well. For images like this where you have action especially I think it is good to leave room for the bird to walk into. So I would prefer to see the bird further right in the frame. Also, despite the clutter it would be great if the bird would have been clear of the shell that is touching its wings/tail. The white shell above the head is not helping you. I would work on increasing the brightness a bit as well. If you are ok with cloning then I would for sure take out the white shells touching the head, the back and the chest and belly. It would give you some nice separation. I think the head would benefit from a touch more sharpening. Looking forward to more from you. The good thing about Black Turnstone is that they are common along the beaches and usually allow close approach so you will have more opportunities with these birds.

Dylan Maithonis
01-05-2018, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the ideas. I agree the biggest problem with this photo for me is the shell touching his head. I might try and get rid of it. This was shot at a bay so I guess the 'story objects' don't get cleared away as quickly as the ocean so there's a lot of them.

PS. Isaac you got great shots!

John Mack
01-05-2018, 11:27 AM
Solid advice here from Isaac. I don't mind the debris on the beach.