PDA

View Full Version : Junco

Alex Becker
01-03-2018, 08:08 PM
Hi all,

Another backyard bird from an overcast day. Pretty standard adjustments, slight crop, NR and sharpening in PS.

Camera: Nikon D500
Lens: 200-500mm f/5.6 at 500mm
Specs: 1/250 ISO 2500 f/5.6

Thanks for looking and commenting on prior posts!
Alex

John Mack
01-03-2018, 08:43 PM
Such cool little birds. The detail looks very good. Like the lichen on the perch.

Jonathan Ashton
01-04-2018, 04:23 AM
Cute little bird good details in the head area. I would suggest you go for f8 at this magnification.

gail bisson
01-04-2018, 07:54 AM
Nice BG and IQ is good.
I am not crazy about the 90 degree bend in the perch although the lichens on the perch are very pretty.
It would have been an even stronger image had the bird's body been more parallel to the sensor.
I agree than F 8 would be better but you were battling with low light and your SS would have needed to be 1/125 which would not be enough to freeze these quick little birds. Si I understanf your choice of aperture.
Gail

Alex Becker
01-05-2018, 12:10 PM
Thanks all -- I probably could've pushed ISO a bit more for DOF. I also wish the bird was more parallel. It's funny I was hoping the bird would land more on the bend of the stick as below that had some more character but take what I can get with these guys. Thanks all for commenting, Best,

Glenn Pure
01-05-2018, 07:59 PM
I love the little birds and I think this is a very nice image of one Alex. I don't know the colour and tone of these but it looks pretty natural in that department. I also like the perch and the way you've placed it in the composition along with the bird. While a bit more DOF would be nice as noted by others, I think this works quite nicely and not a fatal flaw by any stretch. Background is lovely too! Thanks for sharing.