PDA

View Full Version : Theme Great Gray Owl

Stuart Edwards
01-01-2018, 10:09 PM
This is a shot from last February late in the day. I laid down on my stomach to get this angle and made a mound of snow to steady the lens because I forgot my tripod in the truck.
there was already a group of photographers there when I showed that were using mice as bait. They waved me over and waited for me to get ready before continuing. Very friendly folks. I really liked how the blowing snow made him melt into the ground.
Shot with 1DIV 400mm , f5.6 , 1/1600 , iso400
A little noise reduction on the background and smart sharpen on the bird only

Jay Ing
01-01-2018, 10:23 PM
What a face and eyes! I agree the low POV really helps make this shot. I think everyone left happy (except the mouse). Thanks for sharing.

Jonathan Ashton
01-02-2018, 09:09 AM
I like the pose and the angle from which it was taken. Colours look good, I guess these birds plumage colouration varies quite a lot, I got one in September 2016 and as the name implies it was very grey compared yours.

Jim Crosswell
01-02-2018, 10:39 AM
I like the direct stare, low angle, BG and composition. They are beautiful owls. Thanks for sharing.

Bill Dix
01-02-2018, 12:09 PM
Terrific low POV, and great stare. Nice sharp detail too, thanks to that mound of snow.

Mike Poole
01-02-2018, 12:20 PM
Those eyes really draw you into the frame - stunning!. Lovely low positioning, and great complementary colours in the BG

Mike

Glenn Pure
01-03-2018, 05:03 AM
Very impressive, Stuart. Fabulous stare from those eyes and wonderful detail on the bird. I too like the low POV and the owl 'melting' into the snow as you describe. Good complementary colours in the background too. No nits from me.

Stuart Edwards
01-05-2018, 10:52 AM
HI Jonathan. I had the chance to see this same bird i varying light over several days . It was infact gray but this was shot very late in the day and that is exactly how i remember it looking .I have a few shots from closer to sunset where the colors are even warmer.

I like the pose and the angle from which it was taken. Colours look good, I guess these birds plumage colouration varies quite a lot, I got one in September 2016 and as the name implies it was very grey compared yours.

Jonathan Ashton
01-05-2018, 12:03 PM
HI Jonathan. I had the chance to see this same bird i varying light over several days . It was infact gray but this was shot very late in the day and that is exactly how i remember it looking .I have a few shots from closer to sunset where the colors are even warmer.
Thanks for the reply Stuart, it really is a magnificent bird well done!