PDA

View Full Version : Also not a winter scene!

Randy Stout
01-01-2018, 11:07 AM
Weather here has been cold (-10F) with a foot of snow. But, I am starting to think about the upcoming loon season, so always like to look back at last years pictures and think about what I can do this year!

This handsome adult was taken in Northern Michigan in June, just a couple of days after the lone chick hatched. I always like the poses where there neck is extended, so elegant looking, plus it shows of the blue band on the neck well.

D500 600VR f/8 1/1600s, ISO 500. Pedestal mounted in the bottom of my little boat.

Post: slight leveling, softened reflection at the bottom of the frame, toned down some of the specular highlights on the bill. Removed second catchlight on iris.

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers and Happy New Year.

Randy

Jim Crosswell
01-01-2018, 06:45 PM
I like the HA, clarity, complimentary BG and water drops on head/back. Well done Randy.

John Mack
01-01-2018, 07:19 PM
Very nice. The low angle, light and composition are all great.

Raybel Robles
01-01-2018, 08:00 PM
Lovely low angle and great details. Love the water drops on the head. I would just tone down the blue on the white side of the bird and on the water a bit.

Glenn Pure
01-02-2018, 05:41 AM
I very much like the 'in your face' composition and pose. Birds with plenty of room around them are nice, but occasionally good to see one like this. These must be a nightmare to process with that huge tonal range from the white to the very dark plumage but I think you've done well here with nice colour and texture in the dark parts. Even a hint of detail in the brightest whites although I think they could be toned down just a fraction more. I am truly nit-picking here on what is a great image of this bird.

Bill Dix
01-02-2018, 11:55 AM
A real beauty, Randy. I love the way you always manage to get the range of subtle colors in the head and neck of these gorgeous birds. Perfect HA and your usual great water colors.

A very happy New Year to you; hope the loons are cooperative again this year.

Randy Stout
01-02-2018, 05:24 PM
Thanks everyone. Appreciate your input.

Glenn: Their breasts are pure white, so I do try and try to avoid reducing the exposure there too much, or they start to look a bit muddy/grey.

Cheers

Randy