PDA

View Full Version : Happy Holidays

Stu Bowie
12-19-2017, 08:42 AM
This is a Blacksmith Lapwing that I captured this morning flying over a dam at the University of Pretoria. They are very erratic flyers, so I was pleased to capture a decent wingspread as he flew in front of me. Taken in early morning light.

I will be leaving for my summer holidays on thursday and will only be returning in the 2nd week of January. I would like to wish all members a happy festive season with family and friends, and may 2018 be a good one.

Canon 1D Mark IV
Canon 300mm F/2.8 +2X TC = 600mm
1/2500
F/6.3
ISO 640

Manual exposure.
Hand Held.

Jim Crosswell
12-19-2017, 08:47 AM
Excellent image Stu! I like the banking pose, sharpness, BG and composition. Happy Holidays to you as well and hope your vacation is great.

Bill Dix
12-19-2017, 09:00 AM
Wonderful flight image, Stu. It captures the wing spurs nicely. At first glance I wanted to make the wing coverts whiter, but according to my field guide they are not really white, but somewhat grey as you have captured them. I also wondered if the blacks could be a little blacker. But I've never seen the species. (I hope to when we visit the Okavango Delta in February.)

Best wishes to you. I hope you have a wonderful holiday.

Joseph Przybyla
12-19-2017, 10:41 AM
A bird I have never seen before. Nice flight pose and sharpness. I wonder also if the blacks could be darker. Thank you for sharing, be safe on your vacation and have a wonderful holiday season.

annmpacheco
12-19-2017, 10:56 AM
This is wonderful for many reasons Stu, love the exposure and wing spread/head angle... such a bonus to view those spurs too! and the ruby eye, cherry on top. Happy holidays to you as well.

Stu Bowie
12-19-2017, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I felt I had nailed the exposure spot on in camera, as I did not have to bring out the lights and darks in PP work. Here is a repost with a touch of contrast added, together with a touch of blacks too.

Bill Dix
12-19-2017, 02:09 PM
I don't know if it accurately represents the bird, but it certainly pops more.

arash_hazeghi
12-20-2017, 03:44 AM
Love the topside view and the and angle. nice work Stu

Geoffrey Montagu
12-20-2017, 09:50 AM
Beautiful bird and flight capture, Stu. This is a great looking bird which I would love to see in person. Wonderful detail and clear look at the spurs.

Geoffrey

https://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (https://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

David Salem
12-20-2017, 11:19 AM
I think this is one of your best flight images ever Stu!!!
Fantastic pose with a great head angle, beautiful details and you can see the spurs perfectly too. The exposure looks great but I might go somewhere in between the 2.
Gotta be proud of that 1. Well done buddy

Isaac Grant
12-20-2017, 10:33 PM
This looks great Stu. Sweet pose you have and excellent details. I have seen these birds many times and my impression is somewhere between the 2. I think on the repost the blacks are too black. I'd be thrilled to have a shot like this. Congrats on a real beauty.

Jonathan Ashton
12-21-2017, 01:41 PM
Great shot Stu I too would go for a version between the two in terms of colour/contrast.

Ákos Lumnitzer
12-21-2017, 04:13 PM
Fantastic topside view for me too mate.
Congrats! This is a gorgeous lapwing species.

Glenn Pure
12-21-2017, 05:05 PM
Hope you see this in time, but the best to you too for the festive season Stu. Nice work on this frame and repost is definitely an improvement. I remember seeing a lot of these in Botswana but a good photo eluded me so nice to see your eye-catching frame.

gail bisson
12-23-2017, 02:01 PM
Superb flight shot! tack sharp and excellent top side view.
Have fun in CPT and Merry Xmas and warm regards to you and Colleen.
Looking forward to some great shots from your holiday,
Gail