PDA

View Full Version : Monarch Butterfly

Joseph Przybyla
12-17-2017, 07:43 PM
I captured this image in my backyard earlier today. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED image captured at 40mm
1/1250 F/8 Highlight Weighted Metering EV 0 ISO 900 AWB
Post processed in Lightroom Classic CC and Photoshop CC 2018
Cropped for composition and presentation

Jonathan Ashton
12-18-2017, 11:35 AM
Love the colours and composition is pleasing. I wonder if a tad more sharpening would help, or could be the plane of focus is not ideal. The antennae tips appear detailed but the body and wings less so.

Joseph Przybyla
12-18-2017, 03:37 PM
Love the colours and composition is pleasing. I wonder if a tad more sharpening would help, or could be the plane of focus is not ideal. The antennae tips appear detailed but the body and wings less so.

Hi Jonathan, you have good eyes... somehow I managed to post an unsharpened image. Here is the same image sharpened. Thanks for another set of eyes.

Jonathan Ashton
12-18-2017, 03:45 PM
Your welcome Jo I have eyes like the proverbial rat with these new glasses��

Steve Maxson
12-21-2017, 04:29 PM
The sharpening did make a difference (but I have to say the original post wasn't that bad - maybe Jon has better glasses than I do). :S3: I like the light and the diagonal comp. You might consider some selective darkening of the bright background spot along the left edge of the frame as it is tending to draw my eye a bit. For some reason the oranges on the butterfly seem rather subdued to me - but overall, the butterfly doesn't look all that worn. Maybe try a little more saturation there?

Allen Sparks
01-01-2018, 06:36 AM
Hi Joseph,
The repost is definitely an improvement. I like the angle of the butterfly and the colors look good to me. Nice frame.
Allen