PDA

View Full Version : YOUR BEST/FAVORITE IMAGE OF 2017

Rachel Hollander
12-16-2017, 02:11 PM
In keeping with tradition, it's time for me to start the annual thread showcasing everyone's favorite image of the year. Let's reflect back on the past year and have some fun while doing so. Post your favorite image taken in 2017. No critiques allowed, just "great shot" and "WOW".

Post as a reply to this thread, your ONE favorite image that YOU took this year. If there's a backstory then tell us about it and why it's your favorite.

If you want to comment on an image and it is not the last post, just click "Reply with Quote" on the image you want to comment on.

Happy Holidays and a Healthy New Year to All!

The Moderators

Rachel Hollander
12-16-2017, 02:14 PM
And to start us off. Here's my favorite from this year. I spent 5 nights at Silver Salmon Creek Lodge in Lake Clark N.P., Alaska and on the last morning it was a large negative tide at 6 a.m. which allowed me to capture this male bear in nice light with the snow capped peak behind him.

Happy Holidays,
Rachel

Glenn Pure
12-16-2017, 07:11 PM
Rachel, as a relative newbie, are images already posted fair game or are you and the other mods seeking something that hasn't been posted before on BPN?

Rachel Hollander
12-16-2017, 07:18 PM
Glenn - it can be an image you posted before or a new image. I posted mine in Wildlife earlier this year. Only restrictions are that it has to have been taken in 2017 and that you consider it your best and/or favorite.

Thanks for asking.

Rachel

William Dickson
12-19-2017, 04:53 PM
This is my favourite image from this year. A juvenile Red Grouse I captured on the 11th August. This is the day before the 'glorious twelve', the start of the grouse shooting season. I thought the single flower, although, OOF, in amongst the burned heather, gave this little guy a sign of hope, for what was about to happen. Thanks for looking.

Will

Glenn Pure
12-20-2017, 06:06 AM
I haven't been through my posts methodically but think this one is probably it: a Black-backed Jackal in late afternoon light in Etosha NP in Namibia, taken May 2017. Hope you enjoy and the best to everyone - moderators and members - for the festive season.

I hope that Grouse survived, Will.

Daniel Cadieux
12-28-2017, 07:11 PM
Hey guys, here is my favorite from 2017...a resting Red Fox. If you are up to it, you can read my Top 10 of 2017 here:

http://www.dancadphotography.com/top-10-of-2017/

Happy New Year all!

Allen Sparks
12-31-2017, 07:26 AM
Here is one of my favorites from 2017. It was a foggy morning at a nearby national wildlife refuge. The sun had just come up over the tree line. I was photographing a Great Blue Heron perched on a stump when he jumped forward into the water and completely disappeared. He came up with a large chain pickerel. I captured this moment as he was moving to a nearby log in front of me. He managed to eat his catch and then flew off. It was quite a sight to witness.

Ian McHenry
12-31-2017, 02:06 PM
This is only a temporary visitor to Christchurch with his family, but they are all most welcome. :S3:

haseeb badar
01-01-2018, 05:13 AM
Absolutely fantastic Daniel ! And your thread of top 10 images is an absolute treat .

haseeb badar
01-01-2018, 05:14 AM
Terrific images @ Rachel, Will and Glenn .

Ian McHenry
01-04-2018, 03:47 AM
Hi Will.
A braw Red Grouse.
Great to see this fine natural image from Bonnie Scotland.
Always enjoy viewing your latest posts.
"Slainte Mhath"! (Good Health) for continuing success in 2018.

Jay Ing
01-06-2018, 12:07 AM
Guess my favorite is this frame of a Sandhill Crane giving a shout out to all his buddies that his day was officially underway. Thanks BNP and members - it's been a fun first year together.

Simon Davis
01-06-2018, 09:32 AM
Some great images guys. This is my favourite photograph of 2017 - an Otter from the Isle of Mull.

A combination of field craft and luck combined to create this image. We spotted the Otter fishing and started to approach, trying to anticipate where he would come ashore with his catch. We had to abort our approach and take cover as he swam to the shore before we got a chance to set up - we watched him although was a bit too far to photograph and fortunately he went back out to sea to fish some more so we carried on approaching and set up amongst some rocks. This time the otter caught a much bigger fish and came ashore right in front of us and proceeded to eat his catch. We had great views whilst he ate. We started to worry when the incoming tide reached us sat in the seaweed - wet trousers were a small price to pay though for this encounter :) This is the last frame I took after he had finished eating. He started coming closer to us, took one look before heading off back out to sea. Favourite photo and my favourite wildlife moment of the year as well.

70D & 100-400 II @ 400 mm, f/6.3, 1/500 sec, ISO 400

Fred Woodman
01-24-2018, 04:45 PM
Probably my favourite of 2017, this one, was one of a pair I followed for over two hours, trying not to interrupt, i could tell they were going to play. I was right, and both started breaching at same time. This is my" one " pick of 15 consecutive jumps. 8 by one 7 by the other. The white water in front was the previous jump. Taken a mile from my house. It never gets tired. As I always say, fire, puppies and whales never get boring! I picked this one because its the highest above the horizon. Canon 7d II , 100-400 Mark II @100 mm,1/400 sec, f5.6,iso 200.

gail bisson
01-26-2018, 10:33 AM
Wow! Beauty Fred!

Fred Woodman
01-30-2018, 04:53 AM
thank you Gail!

Eric Dienesch
02-19-2018, 05:20 PM
great pic from the wale, wow !!

my greatest moments in 2017 with (i think) good results) was the time in early and late summer, because i was able to watch and observe two eagle owl nests, nearby.
one was in a small town (nesting in a church tower with 2 chicks ) and the other one in a little quarry with three chicks.
i have been many many times there, in august mostly every sunny afternoon and it was amazing to see the chicks growing.

so here is a picture from all three chicks together; shortly before the young owl become nearly adult (juvenile status) and had to go (fly) their own way.
the flying one has a prey (part from a rabbit with a little salad) in his claws

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4409/36378999573_fca0c4cfb7_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/XqFT9z)

D500 with 200-500 VR at f 5.6 and ISO 1250 and 1/1250sec