PDA

View Full Version : Calliope Hummingbird

Gail Spitler
06-22-2008, 07:56 PM
Hi All
As an experiment I converted this file with Canon DPP. Please let me know what you think. As usual I'm watching for (or trying to control) noise among tons of others things.:D:eek::)

Canon 40D with 500mm f/4 with 1.4x TC, AV at f/5.6, 1/1250 sec, EV metering with +2/3 compensation, ISO 500.

Thanks for looking
Gail

Lance Peters
06-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Hi Gail - Gorgeous BG, Love the head angle and the eye contact. Lovely shot.

Might tone down some of the bright whites that are showing as overexposed on the histogram.

:)

Dan Brown
06-22-2008, 08:21 PM
Wow! Gail, this is like a 1 to 1 macro hummer. Sharpness, comp, eye contact and BG are good. Looks like the shot was made at midday as the perch is harsh. I'd like to see more color in the bird, so in the repost, I increased the overall saturation and attempted to tone down the perch selectively with Shadow/highlight.

Dan Brown

Nonda Surratt
06-22-2008, 09:00 PM
Wow Gail super, fantastic detail.

Like the repost too

Oscar Zangroniz
06-22-2008, 09:06 PM
Excellent Gail. Love everything about your capture, exposure, composition, sharpness and the background.
A big congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sharna Lee
06-22-2008, 09:14 PM
WOW! This image took my breath away. I love the detail in the feathers. I love the bg color. The head position and the eye contact are PERFECT! Stunning image.

Sharna

Gail Spitler
06-22-2008, 09:15 PM
Thanks everyone. The comments about the light are well taken. This was one of a series of images that I made late in the morning and around here that means the sun is way up there. Obviously I needed to get up and out there earlier, and quit earlier.
Dan I appreciate the repost, makes the suggestions very concrete.

Does anyone think this is too much perch for the little fellow?

Thanks again
Gail

Alfred Forns
06-22-2008, 09:38 PM
Yes Gail That was the first thing I was going to say It sort of overwhelms the little guy Did great with your settings and came up with a sharp, well composed image Do like the re post a lot !!! ..... btw nothing like soft light !!!!

Nicki Gwynn Jones
06-23-2008, 02:25 AM
Hi Gail - what a beautiful little bird and such a great shot. Perhaps a little too much perch for me. Well done!!

Harold Davis
06-23-2008, 03:06 PM
hi gail. great job!!! love the repost. i agree that the perch is a little big for the bird, but it's still an awesome capture!!