PDA

View Full Version : Snow Bunting 2 (in the snow)

William Dickson
12-08-2017, 02:39 PM
Canon 1DX
f/4 500mm with 1.4
f/6.3
1/1250
ISO 1250

Another from my trip to Cairngorm Mountain last weekend.

Will

Juan Tolentino
12-09-2017, 12:11 AM
I like the atmosphere here. The face looks a little soft on my monitor and looks like the wing is more in focus. I like the composition. Thank you for sharing.

Tim Foltz
12-09-2017, 01:35 AM
Will, nice shot, maybe to much NR or needs some sharpening. Love the comp and environment.

-Tim

Jonathan Ashton
12-09-2017, 07:00 AM
Nice shot Will and I like the placement of the grass tussock. Looking at your bird - very similar to some of mine i.e. wing looks considerably sharper/better detailed than the head. I am wondering if the feathers are finer on the head and easily ruffled.

William Dickson
12-09-2017, 06:40 PM
Nice shot Will and I like the placement of the grass tussock. Looking at your bird - very similar to some of mine i.e. wing looks considerably sharper/better detailed than the head. I am wondering if the feathers are finer on the head and easily ruffled.

I think you may have a point there Jon. I did sharpen the bird more, but decided against it, as the head looked quite 'crunchy'

Will

Jake Levin
12-10-2017, 04:54 PM
Hi Will. I agree with Juan, I think the face looks just a bit softer than the wings and body. I like the OOF brown grass in the background. There seem to be two "blobs" on the top left of the grass and I can't tell if they are just compression artifacts or parts of the plant itself, but if the latter is the case it's an easy clone fix.

Glenn Pure
12-10-2017, 09:05 PM
Thanks for posting this bird in the snow, Will. It's getting up to 35 degrees C here in a few days and hard to imagine the snow and cold you are enduring at the moment. The composition looks good with the OOF grass balancing the bird. The head does look a touch soft to me as others have noted also. Normally your shots are tack sharp so I'm guessing this may be a processing issue as you have hinted. Tone and colour on the bird look excellent and snow nicely rendered. Nice work - keep them coming.

William Dickson
12-11-2017, 03:06 PM
Thanks for that Juan and Glenn. Must get closer next time :S3:

Will