PDA

View Full Version : My turn . . .

wendell westfall
06-22-2008, 05:03 PM
Nikon D70s 70-200VR+2xTE @400mm 1/1250 f5.6 ISO400 Monopod

This image has been cropped a bit, and shadow/highlight and USM applied.

Last week I found these two stilts tending to their future family by alternating sitting on the eggs. Last year in this same spot a nest was built, eggs were laid and the nest and eggs destroyed by a rising water level before the eggs were hatched. I don't know if it was the same stilt pair. In any case, I'm hoping this year will be different. In this image the female is just leaving as the male takes over to "sit for a spell." I'm particularly curious whether you think the image is too soft . . . as well as welcoming all other criticism, of course.
Wendell

Gus Cobos
06-22-2008, 05:11 PM
I really like this habitat capture...well done. I hope the pair has better luck this year...:)

Nicki Gwynn Jones
06-22-2008, 05:14 PM
Hi Wendell - sweet image, very tender. Would probably have prefered to have taken the picture from a lower angle if possible.

wendell westfall
06-22-2008, 06:04 PM
Unfortunately not possible, Nicki. I was situated on a bridge overlooking a protected habitat.

WIlliam Maroldo
06-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Exactly the same thing happened last June at the Anahuac NWR (Texas). I was eagerly awaiting the arrival of the chicks for some photo ops when it rained a solid week and two feet of water flooded out the nest. Also, I never saw the male sit on the nest, he was too busy warding off intruders.

Lance Peters
06-22-2008, 06:40 PM
Hi wendell - nice habitat shot, to my eyes it looks like it needs a little CCW rotation.
Hope you get a chance to get some more shots.

:)

Nonda Surratt
06-22-2008, 07:17 PM
Really nice habitat behavior image, good going! Agree with Lance on the rotation,looks like maybe some harsh light?

Oscar Zangroniz
06-22-2008, 07:44 PM
Great shot Wendell. Agree with the comments regarding the rotation.
Regards,

Alfred Forns
06-22-2008, 09:34 PM
Other than the rotation looks good I like the one bird looking at the eggs and the other glancing in

Post processing wise not all there The whites on the female are not showing detail and the blacks look a little funny. Unless you can photograph then in soft light it will be difficult to process .... block the blacks or blow the whites !!!

wendell westfall
06-23-2008, 10:15 AM
Thanks to all . . .

Point taken re. rotation.
I'll try earlier in the morning for a softer light. But I almost always find post processing (black and white) stilts difficult.

John Hannan
06-23-2008, 06:26 PM
Wendell , nice shot, I took almost the same picture. I hate to report high tide got the nest again.

wendell westfall
06-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Hi John,
Sorry to hear that! I was there this morning for a follow-up and saw that the nest was gone. I would have thought they'd locate a nest elsewhere (I'm assuming it is the same pair?).
By the way, I looked at your Smugmug page and enjoyed your images very much. And I see that we get to some of the same places in addition to Bolsa Chica -- Newport Back Bay, H.B. Central . .
Hope to meet up with you one day.
Wendell.