PDA

View Full Version : king penguins

greg cowle
11-27-2017, 11:46 PM
Different sort of shot of some king penguins on Macquarie Island. I was trying to isolate some individuals on the edge of the colony when this little confrontation occurred. Although a color shot I like the almost B&W outcome except for the bright orange necks. Combination of the grey rocks, grey sky, grey surf and the black/grey backs of the birds. I boosted the orange slightly for artistic effect.
Canon 1DXII and 400/f2.8II handheld.
f5.6, 1/1000, ISO250, Lightroom.
Greg

arash_hazeghi
11-28-2017, 12:35 AM
Nice Greg, I like the composition, I wish you had more light I'd try too open up the darks a little bit

TFS

Daniel Cadieux
11-28-2017, 05:35 AM
Neat sighting, and I love the rocky setting. I agree the image is dark as posted, and I wish there would have been a bit more separation between the two merged birds, especially their bills/heads. I too love the orange markings standing out in an otherwise monochrome image.

Alex Becker
11-28-2017, 06:55 PM
Another vote for bringing up some of the darks here. That said, I also really like the monochrome look with the bit of orange. The smooth rocks transitioning to the waves are great. TFS

greg cowle
11-30-2017, 01:46 PM
Thanks all for the comments. I'll go back and look at the image to see if I can bring more out. They have a really dark eye, so I think it is going to be very difficult...
Greg