PDA

View Full Version : Theme Roan

Rachel Hollander
11-18-2017, 04:32 PM
I thought I would add another species to this month's theme, the Roan Antelope. This was taken in South Luangwa but in the harsher light of late morning on our way back to the park entrance to leave. My guide was excited because it was the first time that winter that he had seen a roan as they are usually in a different part of the park. That's the Luangwa river in the background.

Canon 7D2
100-400 II @ 214mm
1/800
f6.3
ISO 400
HH from safari vehicle, slight crop to straighten and for comp, levels, curves, selectively sharpened in PSCC.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

John Mack
11-18-2017, 06:08 PM
I've never seen a roan or heard of one. This is one majestic beast.

greg cowle
11-19-2017, 12:37 AM
Wow, never heard of a roan before, great to see! Face looks a bit like an oryx, although horns a lot shorter, and less stocky...
Thanks!
Greg

Glenn Pure
11-19-2017, 04:47 PM
A new one for me too Rachel. Your rendering of tone and colour on the animal looks great to me and detail is excellent as usual. The background does look a little thin to me in tone but it does provide good separation for the antelope. Unfortunate about the road in the foreground. I'd be inclined to crop some of it out to make that less obvious and maybe even tighten the crop all around to balance the loss from the bottom?

haseeb badar
11-20-2017, 02:25 AM
Hi Rachel -- What a handsome subject and very nice details and colours. Yet again your handling of harsh light is emaculate. The inclusion of the environment is a nice addition. Not a very pleasing FG but nothing you could have done abt it. Liked this image as presented. TFS !

Rachel Hollander
11-20-2017, 07:40 AM
Thanks John, Greg, Glenn and Haseeb. Yes, the roan is a large and beautiful antelope.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
11-25-2017, 05:28 AM
Hi Rachel, nice 'stock' shot of a Roan, although I'm not a lover of the river cutting through the head, but not much you could have done, albeit going lower, was this with Ed? I'd crop a sliver off the RHS to loose the branch. Personally I might have done some 'gardening', but I know you will leave as is. As you had light on your side I would have gone straight to 1/1600, no issue with the slight increase on ISO, but would ensure any movement would her been lost being HH.

TFS
Steve