PDA

View Full Version : Last Light at Monument Valley

Krishna Prasad kotti
11-17-2017, 09:42 AM
This was the final image from the Monument Valley Trip, AZ

Image take at sunset when the last rays illuminated, the clouds above.

Nikon D500, 24-120 f/4
ISO 640, f/10, 1/40 sec
Shot handheld at 58mm Focal length

Let me know your thoughts and comments

Process Processing:-

Adjustments using Photoshop + Tk Panels.
Not Cropped

Thanks for watching.

Thanks
Krishna

Krishna Prasad kotti
11-17-2017, 09:44 AM
As the sun was just about to go below horizon and I was fairly close to this rock formation, I noticed that earth shadow was cast on the same.

Do we thing its a good idea to use a bit of flash for this image ?

Don Railton
11-19-2017, 12:01 AM
Hi Krishna

I cannot see the earth shadow you refer to..and i don't think you would need flash for this image in any case. The sun is apparently behind you and the rock is well light, not sure you could want more... I do think the processing could have included a gradient however so the sky was not as bright and hence more detail and colour will be left in the cloud and to the rock to a lesser degree. I have included a reworked image that includes a levels layer where a mask is applied to the bottom of the image and this is faded out to nothing at the top.. the fading is easily done using the feather tool.. Then adjusted the level slider down so the top of the image is darker.. Have a play yourself and make the image as you want it.. My interpretation by way of an example is attached.

Don

Andrew McLachlan
11-23-2017, 09:51 AM
Hi Krishna...Don's repost addresses my main concerns with the overall brightness of the original post...I like this image from your trip best of all...so far...looking forward to seeing more.

Glenn Pure
12-02-2017, 08:50 PM
Krishna, the repost works a lot better for me. The original does look overly bright to my eye, especially the sky - although hard to judge the right balance between sky and ground in these types of shots. I could see this working as a much darker version too, with the image more about the sky and cloud but simply a matter of interpretation: more like your earlier posts from this location. I enjoyed viewing so thanks for sharing.