PDA

View Full Version : Local Celebrity Rare Bird - Black-throated Gray Warbler.

Daniel Cadieux
11-15-2017, 05:17 PM
Check out any field guide for this species' normal breeding and wintering range, and check out where Ottawa, Ontario is located - this bird is well over 3000KM out of range! It has been around for two weeks now, and has kept most local birders / bird photographers' interest rather high. I finally got around to checking it out myself, I was rather happy when it foraged down to eye level, and at the edge of a large Pine. Despite the below freezing temperatures it was actively and successfully finding tidbits to consume.

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/400s., f/5.6, ISO 1600, natural light, handheld, FF, darkened the pupil, lightened the iris, tamed a couple of brighter highlights in the BG via burn tool.

Tim Foltz
11-15-2017, 07:31 PM
Daniel, Great find, beautiful bird, nice and chirp, nice HA and BG, I would like to see it a bit higher in frame for my tastes but still a super image.

-Tim

Isaac Grant
11-15-2017, 08:29 PM
Sweet shot of a local rarity. Love the sharpness and separation from the background. Those few needles intersecting the back are not ideal but far from a deal breaker. I have seen them only once in NYC. Funny story. I called a friend and said get out to the park because conditions are perfect for a Black-throated Gray to show up. About 20 minutes later he called me laughing his butt off and saying I can't believe it but I just found one. I rushed to Queens from Staten Island and saw the bird. Getting a picture like this one have made it so much sweeter.

Jonathan Ashton
11-16-2017, 06:50 AM
Super Dan very sharp and well detailed. I wonder if it would be worthwhile trying to remove those pesky pine needles, by it's rear?

Arthur Morris
11-16-2017, 09:26 AM
Killer. Perfect head tilt and a gorgeous setting!

with love, artie

Bill Dix
11-16-2017, 09:57 AM
Wonderful find. One of these shows up in New Jersey once in a blue moon; I'd love to see one. Exposure and pose are great. Pesky needles may not be ideal but don't detract from the image.

Geoffrey Montagu
11-17-2017, 07:14 PM
How lucky you are to have this visitor, Daniel and down to eye level. Beautiful capture, spot on exposure and lovely light.

Geoffrey

https://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (https://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

Glenn Pure
11-17-2017, 08:03 PM
I don't know the bird or its rarity - even without that it's a wonderful shot. Nice soft light and great handling of tone and colour. Your signature detail and sharpness also apparent. A real little cutie in a great setting and nicely composed.