PDA

View Full Version : Least Sandpiper ?

Joseph Przybyla
11-11-2017, 03:43 PM
I captured this image at the north side of Ft. De Soto in the area next to the ropes/bird sanctuary. Along that stretch of beach. I am not sure of the identification, the bird was smaller than a Willet and a little larger than a Black-bellied Plover, trusting my memory. Any help on the ID would be appreciated. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED shot at 400mm
1/3200 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV +1/3 ISO 450, camera supported by a monopod
Post processed in Lightroom Classic CC and Photoshop CC 2018
Cropped for composition and presentation

Isaac Grant
11-11-2017, 05:03 PM
This is a winter plumaged Red Knot. Nice eye contact and I love the tropical looking water.

Jonathan Ashton
11-11-2017, 05:17 PM
Nicely processed and good angle. Perhaps the blacks are a tad heavy? Given the lighting conditions you had I would definitely have gone for f8. (The tail is slightly soft.)

Arthur Morris
11-17-2017, 09:28 AM
Nice image. I love this species. Note that Least Sandpiper would be tiny compared to a black-bellied :) Opting to go to f/8 would have brought up background detail that I would not want. Great job with the head angle and the placement of the breaking wave. Learn more about aging and identifying North American shorebirds in my Shorebirds; Beautiful Beachcombers here (http://birdsasart-shop.com/shorebirds-beautiful-beachcombers/).

with love, artie