PDA

View Full Version : Rim lighting Sambar

Sabyasachi Patra
06-22-2008, 10:27 AM
I photogrpahed this Samabar deer (Cervus unicolor) in Bandhavgarh National Park, India. I was waiting near a water hole for a tigress and cubs to make their appearance. I liked the rim lighting, and shot this Sambar doe when its head was turned away. I am sure you guys will jump on me as the eyes are not in the picture. But I liked it more when its head was turned away.

Canon EOS 40D, ISO 400, Canon 400mm F2.8 L IS USM, EF 1.4XII TC, f5.6 1/800.

Look forward to your comments.

Alfred Forns
06-22-2008, 09:12 PM
There is nothing wrong with having the animal turning away We just like to have the head square and eye visible since is the most prominent part of the image

Here I do like the rim light and overall feel on the image, do feel is very tight in frame and would like more space particularly behind the animal. I like it a lot !!!

D. Robert Franz
06-23-2008, 07:43 AM
Nice light and a traquil scene but I would prefer to see the head more clearly. Also a bit more room on the left side of the frrame would be nice..

Robert Amoruso
06-23-2008, 08:24 AM
Though other aspects of the image work well, not seeing the head was a negative impact on the image.

Roman Kurywczak
06-24-2008, 08:57 AM
Hi Sabayasachi,
Head looking away already mentioned. In situation like these I tend to wait until I see the eye and fire away....Not sure you had that opportunity and I'm glad I'm not using film anymore! Love the light and environs you captured him in.

Steve Foss
06-26-2008, 06:12 PM
I like it this way. I don't care about eye contact if eye contact isn't the focus of the image. But because the head turned away toward the BG environment places more emphasis on that environment, I would like to see a little more of that environment in the image. If this is a crop, easily done. If not, a quick removal of the TC would have accomplished that.