PDA

View Full Version : Tri-colored Heron

Joseph Przybyla
11-08-2017, 08:06 PM
I captured this image while Dottie and I were at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida this morning. Wondering about the eyelid covering half the eye. What do you think?

Nikon D500
Nikon 80-400mm VRII AF-S ED shot at 400mm
1/2000 F/8 Matrix Metering EV -2/3 ISO 320
Post processed in Lightroom Classic CC and Photoshop CC 2018
Cropped for composition and presentation

Krishna Prasad kotti
11-08-2017, 08:14 PM
Thanks for sharing. Eye looks ok to me. I would have shot this vertically. Adding a bit more room at the top will help.

Steve Kaluski
11-09-2017, 01:26 PM
Cracking Joe, pin sharp, but are the whites a bit high???? There might be another option on cropping, but hard to tell without seeing the original frame I feel.

TFS
Steve

Bob Smith
11-09-2017, 02:02 PM
Great preening pose Joe, with excellent fine feather detail. I like the eye as it adds mood to the image--BG is just right for the colours. I'm wondering if you had any room on the histogram to dig a bit more detail out of the whites.

Glenn Pure
11-09-2017, 08:45 PM
Another wonderful shot, Joe. Nice simple background and gorgeous detail on the bird. Tones and colours look pretty good to me - but noted the comments on the whites. Perhaps a touch more can be extracted there? The part-closed eye gives the bird a relaxed, dreamy look which I think works quite well here. Composition work for me - but can also see this as a vertical too. It would be harder to see that wonderful feather detail if the bird was smaller though, at least on an online image posted here. Different story with a nice big print at home. Very nice work.

Daniel Cadieux
11-09-2017, 09:27 PM
I love those big grey feathers below the bill, and I am OK with the eye. Nice details throughout. The whites are a bit bright, but not overly so. Should be easy to tone down just a bit.

Jonathan Ashton
11-10-2017, 07:27 AM
Super shot and gorgeous colours, the whites are only slightly high by the bill and very slight clipping on the yellow. I quite like the crop shape, though I think a portrait version would look good!

Arthur Morris
11-10-2017, 09:46 AM
Hi Joe, I don't like the half-closed eye and bill is angled slightly away from you so that lack of d-o-f is somewhat of a problem.

with love, artie

Joseph Przybyla
11-10-2017, 05:46 PM
Thanks everyone for viewing and commenting, very much appreciated.