PDA

View Full Version : Theme Semi Palmated Plover

Stuart Edwards
11-04-2017, 10:35 PM
This is from early September in St-Martine Quebec. I had to lay on my stomach in about 3 inches of cold water to get a decent angle. At least the sun was quite warm but the 1-1/2 hour drive home was a little uncomfortable in wet clothes.
Cleaned up the foreground a bit in photoshop and used smart sharpen just on the bird
Shot from a tripod
1DIV 400 f5.6L + 1.4
1/1000 f8 iso 500

John Mack
11-05-2017, 11:54 AM
Low angle, raised foot and all the green are nice.

Bob Smith
11-05-2017, 04:52 PM
Lovely coordination of bird and BG colours Stuart and a nice contrast with the soft greens of the seaweed. The head angle is good but this little fellow has a cheeky tilt to his head as well that really gives the image a spark. Well caught.

Glenn Pure
11-05-2017, 07:24 PM
Stuart, you've certainly gone beyond the call of duty to get this, lying in water to do so. I'm not that tough or committed! The POV has paid off though and is really excellent here. Background is a lovely mix of soft pastels making the bird pop really well. Pose is excellent too with one raised foot. The only minor thing that detracts for me here is the missing detail in the brightest highlights on the bird. Not sure if there was anything there in the original. Otherwise, the tone and detail look excellent here. I'd be very happy if this was mine.

Daniel Cadieux
11-06-2017, 08:24 AM
Been there, done that...during August-September-October I always have a change of clothes and a towel or two in the trunk of my car:w3. My type of low angle, I love it. The raised foot is an important element here. I do agree with Glenn about the brightest whites.

Noel Heustis
11-06-2017, 07:30 PM
Stuart, I agree with the others...I really like the BG, detail, the sun angle, and most especially the effort. I can certainly appreciate trying to get low enough to get these POV's. I wear the Columbia nylon fishing shirts and pants that dry quickly for getting in the water and they're usually dry within 15 minutes or so...although it's 80 degrees where I am so that might not be the best advise up where you are. Thanks for sharing.

Stuart Edwards
11-06-2017, 10:12 PM
Thanks guys . As for the whites , any recommendations on how to try and recover the bright spots? I did try before posting it here but that is one part of processing i haven't figured out yet.