Tomasz Zawadzki
10-30-2017, 04:13 AM
Taken with:
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
EF600mm f/4L IS II USM
ƒ/7.1
1/400
ISO 1600

I have tried to shoot some autumn birds this weekend.
RAW white balance was at 3400 K and it was almost blue.
I had to bump it up to 4500 K before it started to look as when i took the shot.
The colors were vivid (the yellow leafs).
I wonder what do you think and how it looks on your monitors.

Thanks in advance for feedback.

Bill Dix
10-30-2017, 04:34 PM
Beautiful setting for this lovely little bird. Nice pose and comp. I might be tempted to clone or brush out the two brightest white spots to the right of the bird.

Tim Foltz
10-30-2017, 11:20 PM
Tomasz, Nice colors, details and BG, I might add a bit more room on the top to give the leaf a bit of space but other than that.
Sweet shot.

-Tim

Jonathan Ashton
10-31-2017, 12:03 PM
I like it Tom but I think it is still a little too blue. Lovely details - maybe just a tad less contrast?
Quite coincidentally I was trying to do exactly the same to day but I used a sumac frond. I didn't get one but I did get a sparrowhawk female come down for a bathe in the garden pond.

Isaac Grant
10-31-2017, 07:04 PM
I very much like the bird small in the frame here. Great background colors and a very nice perch. I too wish for more room so that the leaves were not right at the edge of the frame. I find the dark areas on the left edge and on the right distracting. In addition the 2 white spots to the white of the bird. I also don't think the lower right cut off leaf adds anything to the shot. Did a quick edit where I blended the black away and then got rid of that lower leaf and the white spots. Just cloned areas at on a separate layer at about a 70% opacity and did a bit of content aware fills. I also added a little canvas on the top and bottom of the frame. These type of edits are not for everyone but I feel address those distracting areas. Usual disclaimer that these types of edits are always better done on the full res file. Thoughts?

Glenn Pure
11-01-2017, 10:42 PM
Isaac's repost definitely helps the bird stand out better from the rest of the frame. All the same, I thought the original post was a really beautiful and well-presented shot. The colours are brilliant and I think the perch and leaves are superb as is your placement of the bird in the frame (I like both OP and RP compositions in that regard). I do think the bird looks a touch blue. This is one time I'd probably do WB with the eyedropper on a suitable part of the bird's white plumage. But that is very minor. I do like this shot a great deal.

Tomasz Zawadzki
11-02-2017, 07:23 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I am happy that the saturation and colors is ok. Regarding more space i have applied it already. I also like the idea of removal of those white spots. Not sure about other changes.