PDA

View Full Version : Least Sandpiper Peek-a-boo

gail bisson
10-27-2017, 12:55 PM
I have had this in my files for a while but wasn't sure if my fellow BPN'ers would like this and I welcome your opinion.
I have not taken a single bird picture since mid-August and am now looking at my "B-roll" shots for something to post.
I am in serious withdrawal state!
Canon 1 DX 1.4 x 600mm
ISO 800 F 8 SS 1/2500
Crop to ~ 70 FF. Processed in LR6.2 and CS5
Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks,
Gail

arash_hazeghi
10-27-2017, 01:30 PM
I like all but I am not stoked about the grass in from of him much preferred if they were separated

Bill Dix
10-27-2017, 02:32 PM
Actually, I do like it. Except for the one blade of grass that hits the tip of his bill. Setting, pose and colors are lovely. It could use a bit of CCW rotation. Time to get back out there.

Bob Smith
10-27-2017, 02:38 PM
The BG grass and water is so beautifully rendered here Gail, and contrasts so strikingly with the lovely colours and sharp focus of the bird, that I think I'd prefer it without the foreground grass.

Glenn Pure
10-27-2017, 08:29 PM
Sorry to hear you have not been out, Gail, and hope you can rectify soon. Your rendering of this is simply great as usual: stunning detail and great tone and colour. The bird stands out really well against the rest and I really like the richness in the wing plumage. Background is gorgeous. I can see why you were in two minds about it and understand the 'peek-a-boo' idea which I like. My feeling is that this didn't quite do enough to get there though: I think a bit more or taller foliage to make the concept more obvious would have helped. But I also understand that these types of shots are often opportunistic and have to work with 'what was' at the time. I guess that's one reason we see so few of them? Thanks for sharing - still a lot to like about this.

Geoffrey Montagu
10-27-2017, 11:47 PM
Hi Gail,

Like your title and wouldn't change a thing. Love the contrast of the rich feathers against the pastel foreground and background, while nicely handling the blacks and whites.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

gail bisson
10-28-2017, 06:59 AM
Thanks all. I have posted below a frame of the same bird with no grasses. I think I know which will be preferred!

Joseph Przybyla
10-28-2017, 09:06 AM
I like both... your rendering of each is spot on. I am with Bill in that I would remove/shorten the blade of grass that touches the bill in the first post. I also hope as Glenn wrote, that you can get out soon and rectify soon. Thank you for sharing, Gail.

David Salem
10-29-2017, 08:50 PM
I was just going to say "I like everything except for the grass in front" but you fixed that ;)
I see where you were going with this but I think it didn't work as well for the peek a boo shot.
Repost looks like your normal solid frame. See you soon Gail!