PDA

View Full Version : Theme Red on Green

Bill Dix
10-25-2017, 07:58 AM
We were sitting in the anchored skiff as dusk approached, waiting, waiting, and wondering if maybe they weren't going to show up tonight. But of course they always show up. Then the Scarlet Ibises started flying in, in groups of 10 or 20 at a time, and settled into their mangrove island rookery for the night. Our rocking boat was full of fidgety birders, the light had become dim; and of course the carefully regulated rookery didn't allow us to approach any closer. Still, it was a treat to see hundreds of these spectacular birds fly in and perch; and worth some attempts to capture them even under those conditions. Caroni Swamp, Trinidad, in February of last year.

D7200, 500f4 + 1.4 TC, ISO 6400, 1/1600s @ f/6.3 manual.

Alex Becker
10-26-2017, 08:12 AM
A very cool looking bird that I haven't seen before. The conditions were certainly against you here but I think you've done well with techs. Theres a lot to take in on this frame with all the various positions and overall pretty good HAs. I like that you have some of the birds arriving others leaving and others tucked away for the night. Some of the birds do look very red but again I haven't seen them so I'm not sure. I find a frame a bit tight for the two on bottom if you have any extra canvas there. TFS

Bob Smith
10-26-2017, 04:19 PM
Well exposed and a depth of field that covers all the birds make this a really eye catching shot Bill. Each bird is a good image in it's own right and this foliage is a terrific backdrop for them. I'm thinking that the average exposure setting for the foliage would be just about the same as that for the birds.

Glenn Pure
10-26-2017, 05:54 PM
Looks like you pushed the camera ISO hard for this one Bill and it looks great given that challenge. I have seen these birds in an aviary once: in the Hong Kong Botanic Gardens and was staggered by their colour. They are truly this bright and makes me wonder how this colour provides any protection from predators! As for your shot, the main thing I'd say is it looks a little flat and low key. I suspect you were trying to stop the bills on the birds blowing and this may have resulted in the overall exposure but I can't help thinking this might be worth playing with a bit more to give it a bit more punch? Framing and composition looks fine to me.

Bill Dix
10-26-2017, 07:24 PM
Thanks Alex, Bob and Glenn. Yes, it is decidedly flat and low key. There simply wasn't any light.

Geoffrey Montagu
10-26-2017, 08:31 PM
I think this is a fine capture given the poor light we had to work with, Bill. I like that each Ibis is in a different position, and that you left the space open in the upper left quarter of the image.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)