PDA

View Full Version : Baby on board.... loon

Pat Nighswander
06-21-2008, 09:50 PM
It is not the lighting that I wanted but if it doesn't stop raining I will have to wait until next year.... got this at a private lake..I pushed the camera to it's limits canon 30d

Iso 1600, f 8, 1\160, 400 mm

Stephen Stephen
06-21-2008, 10:00 PM
Pat nice intimate family image her but it needs about 4 degrees of clockwise rotation and some Contrast and Gamma correction adjustment. I've made some quick adjustment to try and explain what I mean. I'm sure that you can do a better job with the original.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s219/Squidcan/Birds2/Pats_Loon.jpg

Grace Scalzo
06-21-2008, 10:10 PM
I like the feeding action, and the chick on the parent's back. It is frustrating when the elements don't cooperate.

Axel Hildebrandt
06-21-2008, 10:27 PM
I like the intimate mood and feeding action. Too bad you didn't have better light. Did you dial in any positive exposure compensation?

Pat Nighswander
06-21-2008, 11:16 PM
Yes I did dial in positive exposure. and tried lots of settings..while sitting under a pine tree in the rain staying dry they kept coming closer.. My exifers for the ev settings are lost at moment from noise software but I am trying the more gamma and rotation suggested by Stephen.. if I can get it any better I will repost.. I did get lots of shots as it is digital and hope to get back but it has been a week now and baby probably won't be riding on the back..thanks for the feedback Grace , Stephen and Axel

Arthur Morris
06-22-2008, 06:21 AM
A tender moment captured but the image quality is extremely poor. Digital is capable of making great images in lousy weather so best not to blame the rain... Be sure to add tons of light to get at least some data in the fifth histogram box and use some flash if at all possible...

Judy Lynn Malloch
06-22-2008, 08:49 AM
I agree with all of the above but wanted to say how much I enjoyed seeing this special moment that you captured Pat. This family moment is such a fleeting one and awesome that you were able to experience it. thanks for sharing.

Jeff Nadler
06-22-2008, 10:56 AM
The abundant digital noise in the heads, not very focused subjects, crooked water, and high contrast lead to a unsuccessful photo but of a wonderful subject.