PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Brown Booby

Colin Driscoll
10-18-2017, 05:40 AM
Photographed October last year off Lady Elliott Island at the southern end of the Great Barrier Reef. A record shot at the time.
1DXII 70-200mm f/2.8L II & 2xIII 400mm 1/2500 f7.1 iso800
Pretty much out of the camera except for the crop and slight sharpening. I've presented as a pano to emphasize the wide expanse of habitat these birds use.

Jonathan Ashton
10-18-2017, 10:02 AM
Colin I get the idea but I think the image portrays rather more of the ocean than the bird or it does to me. Sorry the bird looks a little lost (maybe just my lack of imagination!)

Glenn Pure
10-18-2017, 08:27 PM
Colin, I've played with shots like this myself and like the idea a great deal: a small bird against the great expanse of ocean. I think greater separation than in this frame would work better: for example, having the ocean more blurred or greater tonal separation, which is hard with a bird that has such a dark dorsal side. Thanks for sharing all the same.

Colin Driscoll
10-18-2017, 08:50 PM
OK, maybe not quite so small in the frame!

Isaac Grant
10-19-2017, 06:55 PM
I am not sure about this one. Perhaps just a personal bias but I feel like small in the frame is more about the scenery than the bird. While I like the water, I don't think it really adds anything. Also you have some pretty harsh shadows on the bird.

Glenn Pure
10-20-2017, 01:18 AM
OK, maybe not quite so small in the frame!

I think the repost is an improvement but the main issue still exists for me about lack of separation between the bird and background - albeit better in the RP. Thanks for having another go at it. I suspect these types of shots are quite hard to pull off.