PDA

View Full Version : Sunset at Bryce Canyon National Park

Krishna Prasad kotti
10-14-2017, 03:38 PM
Hi All,

I took this image at Bryce Canyon National Park last week. I wanted to capture sunrise and sunset at Bryce Canyon National Park. This was my first trip and did not know what to expect. I will again be heading there as I want to photograph in Winter Season with snow.

Nikon D500, 24-120 f/4
1/60, f/8, ISO 400
5 Images blended- Bracketing - HDR image.

I mostly photograph Birds but I do love Landscapes
I struggle a lot with landscapes, I think I got the shot but after coming home I generally do not like them.

Let me know your thoughts and comments.

As a side note I do like to know for Landscape photography do we need a full frame camera ? Can you suggest some good books to for Landscape/Long Exposure photography ?

Thanks for watching.

Thanks
Krishna

Don Railton
10-15-2017, 11:27 PM
Hi Krishna

Welcome to another side of BPN... You have a good subject here and the HDR colours/processing looks very real to me anyway (but I have never see this place..), so well done there. My main suggestion is the apparent tilt in the earth, the image looks to need a bit (~ 4 degrees, quite a bit..)of anti-clock wise rotation. Now there are not many things that you can use in this image to absolutely check that its level so its highly likely I am wrong...however, I based my guess at 4 deg on some of the larger trees (generally they grow vertical) and the fact that my eye seems to tell me its low RHS... I don't have a list of landscape reference texts you might study unfortunately, I'm not that smart..

DON

Krishna Prasad kotti
10-15-2017, 11:35 PM
I agree It might need a bit of rotation. I was thinking the same after posting it. I will correct the same.

Krishna Prasad kotti
10-15-2017, 11:47 PM
Corrected the Horizon Align Issue. Reposting the image. Added a little bit contrast

Don Lacy
10-24-2017, 10:07 AM
Hi Krishna, Wonderful image but when I first open the thread I thought the horizon is off which you fixed and that the midtowns are to bright for washing out some of the color and not really natural for the light I see in the sky. Hope you don't mind but I pulled it into PS to show you what I am talking about and how lowering the mid tone values effect the image.

Krishna Prasad kotti
10-24-2017, 10:34 AM
Hi Krishna, Wonderful image but when I first open the thread I thought the horizon is off which you fixed and that the midtowns are to bright for washing out some of the color and not really natural for the light I see in the sky. Hope you don't mind but I pulled it into PS to show you what I am talking about and how lowering the mid tone values effect the image.

Thank you Don.

I am still new to post processing so use dodging for the mid tones. Yours is much better

Don Lacy
10-24-2017, 09:24 PM
Thank you Don.

I am still new to post processing so use dodging for the mid tones. Yours is much better
I kept it simple I used a curve adjustment and clicked on the middle of the curve and pulled it down until it looked right to me. You could also use a level adjustment and move the middle triangle to the right.

Colin Driscoll
10-30-2017, 05:52 AM
A lovely scene and Don's post gives it a lift although I have no idea how it looked in real life.