PDA

View Full Version : Tough subject

Beth Goffe
06-21-2008, 06:21 PM
Kingfishers are so skittish! This female and her possible mate took off every time they caught a glimpse of me, even at a great distance. There were a lot of tall green reeds between the two of us - with the grass and something that had captured her attention, I was able to grab a couple of images. This image is far from ideal - very heavy crop, a little tilted, etc., but it's my first of this species so I'm ok with it. :)

Canon 40D, 400f5.6, 1/125s, f/7.1, EC +1 1/3, ISO 400

Axel Hildebrandt
06-21-2008, 06:27 PM
I like the soft light, eye contact, raised crest and BG. I hope you will be able to photograph them from a closer distance sometime.

Arthur Morris
06-21-2008, 06:51 PM
Sharp, with a good head angle. Would love to see a bit more contrast. Was this in Central Park?

Bill Foxworthy
06-21-2008, 07:40 PM
These birds are a skiddish as they come. If I even look at one they fly away. Great background with good details on this image, well done!

Arthur Morris
06-21-2008, 07:57 PM
These birds are a skiddish as they come.

Bill, a serious question here: Did you mean to imply that kingfishers loose their footing easily on slippery surfaces or did you mean that they are "skittish"? :)

Beth Goffe
06-21-2008, 08:49 PM
Thanks Axel, Artie and Bill! Unfortunately kingfishers are only occasional visitors to Central Park. This was made in an Audubon sanctuary called Buttercup Farm in Dutchess County, NY. Highly recommended for anyone near the area. I hope to get back there soon for another crack at these guys.