PDA

View Full Version : Puffin in flight

Alex Becker
10-12-2017, 04:07 PM
Hi all,

While waiting for some of the winter migrants -- another puffin in flight from the Farne Islands. In post, cropped slightly, standard LR sliders, increased contrast on the BG, lifted the eye slightly, NR on the BG, sharpened, added a couple points to both the black and whites of the bird. BG is cliff, ocean, and sky. Not sure what the fish in the mouth is -- much larger than the sandeels and I've only seen puffins with a single one of these fish as opposed to their signature mouthful.

Camera: Nikon D500
Lens: 200-500mm f/5.6 at 500mm
Specs: 1/2500 ISO 1400 f/5.6

Thanks for looking and commenting on prior posts!
Alex

gail bisson
10-13-2017, 08:17 AM
Good incoming flight pose. Nice and sharp.I would bump up the saturation in the oranges and reds slightly as the bill looks dull.
I wonder what is in his mouth? I found myself focused more on trying to figure out what the prey was, rather than looking at the image.
Gail

Stu Bowie
10-14-2017, 01:55 PM
Hi Alex, lovely angled flight pose towards you, and I agree with Gail to increase some saturation on the beak.

Ákos Lumnitzer
10-14-2017, 05:13 PM
Beak looks flat as mentioned, otherwise it is quite nice IMO.
Great angle of flight and the diagonal of the OOF BG works well too.
Great stuff! I do have a soft spot for this kind of soft light.

Alex Becker
10-16-2017, 10:16 AM
Thanks all -- I'll pump up the beak a bit more to bring out some more color. Gail -- I spent some time googling around re: the fish but no luck so far...does look very unusual especially from this angle.