PDA

View Full Version : 'Arty' White-tailed Sea Eagle

Steve Kaluski
10-12-2017, 08:13 AM
Occasionally it's nice to go for something different and perhaps dare I say, a bit 'Arty' too. No tricks or gimmicks done, just take the shot and a simple process.

Thanks to those who viewed or especially commented on the previous image.

Steve

Subject: White-tailed Sea Eagle (Haliaeetus albicilla) backlit with sun
Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
Lens: 200-400f/4 HH
Exposure: 1/1600s at f/6.3 ISO200
Original format: Landscape, almost FF
Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2017

Frank sheets
10-12-2017, 09:08 AM
Great timing, lovely image and from what I can tell, good exposure to keep some color in the sun!

Stu Bowie
10-12-2017, 10:10 AM
Hi Steve, and you said you battled to shoot hand held on the boat - well I dont think so mate. Excellent timing, and I just love the shape of the silhouette against the sun, fish and all. I also like the rim light along the edge of the far wing. The undulating outline of the sea shows us how rough the sea was. Great work. :cheers:

Steve Kaluski
10-12-2017, 10:26 AM
Thanks guys.

Stu on the hi-res you actually see the trail of water, even in the dark of the sea. :S3:

William Dickson
10-12-2017, 12:35 PM
Love it. The difference in colour between sea and sky, with the suns reflection on the sea look real good. To capture the eagle at the exact moment it flew in front of the sun, takes it over the top. What I also like is that you can instantly tell its a WTE. The prey adds so much as well. Fab frame. Thats the lowest ISO I have seen you using Steve :S3:

Well done mate

Will

Stuart Philpott
10-12-2017, 02:26 PM
Amazing , Steve the image makes me feel I'm looking upwards to that swell. what;s amazing is that not only did see this try for this, but in that swell hh with THAT lens words fail . You or the Xii must have some form of gyroscope...........:S3: and I suspect it isn't in the camera.

Besides that no nits very cool. Steve I don't really want to crit this just look at it.

Is the iso so low to max dynamic range ?

A gorgeous frame

stu

Alex Becker
10-12-2017, 04:10 PM
Another killer frame of these guys. So jealous. Love the waves the sun the sunlit beak and the colors. Also curious as to whether keeping ISO down was to preserve DR, although I have no idea on Canon gear. TFS

Steve Kaluski
10-12-2017, 04:26 PM
Thanks guys.

Thats the lowest ISO I have seen you using Steve

Will on the 'odd' occasion I have gone lower, however don't tell anyone, but it all comes down to light and the SS, ISO is a thing of the past Will and I have no hesitation in pushing it as you know, it won't hold me back. :S3:

Also curious as to whether keeping ISO down was to preserve DR, although I have no idea on Canon gear. TFS

Hi Alex I shoot Manual, get the SS & DoF I want let the ISO take care of itself, if the Histogram is right (ETTR) then what's the problem, bingo. You have done it in the past go for it. cheers :w3

Glenn Pure
10-12-2017, 06:52 PM
Remarkable! Getting the bird and sun in position like that, and bird with prey as well... Truly amazing. Glints of light around parts of the bird add a nice touch. Sure looks pretty rough though so doubly amazing that you were able to get this. BTW, I can see that bit of spray behind the bird. The high res version must be even more remarkable.

Ákos Lumnitzer
10-14-2017, 05:10 AM
Steve
This is spectacular mate. Period!

Steve Kaluski
10-16-2017, 10:21 AM
Cheers Akos. :wave: