View Full Version : Puffin

William Dickson
10-11-2017, 04:00 PM
Canon 1DX
f/4 500mm with 1.4
f/8
1/2500
ISO 800.

I captured this Puffin earlier this year from a boat, whilst touring the islands on the West coast of Scotland. As you can see from the BG the sea was a wee bit choppy, so was happy to get this one in focus.

Will

gail bisson
10-11-2017, 05:52 PM
Very nice Will.Tack sharp, good details in the blacks and whites and great wing position.
The water drops add a nice element and the color of the water is a very nice shade of blue.
I think the blacks look a bit thin and i would adjust the blacks- many options to do this such as levels or curves or a point of black to the blacks in selective coloring.
It would have been nice to have a slightly better HA.
All in all, a very nice image, Gail

Joseph Przybyla
10-11-2017, 06:14 PM
Hi Will, nice capture. I have never had a go at these yet, I have read that they are speeding bullets. Sharp, good detail, nice colors. I agree that the blacks look a tad thin. Thank you for sharing.

Alex Becker
10-11-2017, 09:25 PM
Nice working nailing one from a moving boat in the chop -- I get seasick relatively easily with any decent waves so to me this is just sweet. Agree the blacks look a bit thin. I see some posterization in the BG but that might just be unavoidable given compression. The water drops are great. TFS

Tim Foltz
10-11-2017, 11:20 PM
Will, you are a braver man than I when it comes to getting on a boat, nice and sharp, nice BG too.
I agree with Gail about the blacks, unfortunately the HA couldn't be avoided.

-Tim

William Dickson
10-12-2017, 02:12 AM
Thanks for the comments, I have changed the blacks, and it does look better.

Will

Glenn Pure
10-12-2017, 05:52 AM
Coming in late on this one Will - I don't know these birds except from photos but this looks like a great shot and your repost is definitely an improvement. Great result in a big swell especially while handling that big lens. I'd be very pleased if this was mine.

Michael Thompson
10-12-2017, 08:04 AM
Nice job capturing this interesting bird from the wavy boat! Exposure and sharpness are great! to bad you couldn't get him to look at the camera, a catchlight would have been nice, so hard to train these birds to do that haha:w3

Steve Kaluski
10-12-2017, 08:18 AM
Hi Will, you did well under the circumstances and the water as the backdrop is cool. Would have, in an ideal world, preferred the head to be side on or looking slightly towards camera rather than away, but hey... Personally I prefer the OP, the water droplets are a nice touch.

TFS
Steve

Frank sheets
10-12-2017, 08:39 AM
IMO, just getting the bird in the frame on choppy seas while on a boat represents an great accomplishment. Great work. And to have a tack sharp image too boot, well, what can I say. Love Puffins and you did a great job on this one. Head angle might have been a little better, but, splitting hairs.

William Dickson
10-12-2017, 12:27 PM
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Will

Krishna Prasad kotti
10-12-2017, 01:49 PM
I like the image a lot. Nice Wing position.

Thank you for sharing

Ákos Lumnitzer
10-14-2017, 05:12 PM
My only wish is for a better HA.
However, it is still a fantastic capture of what I believe is a rather quick flyer.
Well done and your repost is much more impactful!

William Dickson
10-16-2017, 12:14 PM
My only wish is for a better HA.
However, it is still a fantastic capture of what I believe is a rather quick flyer.
Well done and your repost is much more impactful!

Thanks for that mate. hope your recent trip went well, and looking forward to seeing your images.

Will